• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I just had my first yoga class

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willpower
Yes. Ibuprofen. It'll kick your @ss the in the beginning.
I've been doing it for about 6 months now. I can manage pretty much every pose except for a few that my body will just not accommodate. And, yes, the Tylenol helped in the beginning.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Ashtanga yoga is definitely some difficult stuff. It's a form of strength training, not at all like the vision commonly associated with Yoga in America.

I did it for awhile and the first few times, I really liked it, but overtime I started to drop off because it took too much of my energy which I would have rather used benching, squatting, etc. It takes all you've got to do everything and I imagine that serious practitioners have excellent full body strength. For all the secondary muscles that we don't really use in our sedentary lifestyles, it's gotta be a great thing. I just couldn't muster up the motivation to continue with it.

Next time I'm cutting, I'm considering doing ashtanga instead of gradually losing strength at weight training (I'm a hard gainer). Thoughts?

The issue I have with yoga the few times I've tried it is that I don't get the progressive wins like I do when I add 5 lbs to a lift or clean a rock climbing route.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Ashtanga is my favorite.

The founder recently passed away: Link

The founder of Ashtanga or the Eight Limbs of Yoga an Indian Sage named Patanjali. He left the physical body a few thousand years ago.

http://www.yogamovement.com/resources/patanjali.html

I think you are referring to Patabijois from Mysore who founded his own discipline which is known as Mysore Yoga in the West.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came back from my first moksha Yoga class with my girlfriend...It was in a hot room which I liked, but holy hell am I inflexible...The strength training aspects weren't overly difficult but I really enjoyed the stretching. I think I'm going to add it to my work out routine...

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Just came back from my first moksha Yoga class with my girlfriend...It was in a hot room which I liked, but holy hell am I inflexible...The strength training aspects weren't overly difficult but I really enjoyed the stretching. I think I'm going to add it to my work out routine...
Edit - Realized I was being redundant.

thats.mana

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So has anyone kept up with this over the years? I'm thinking about picking this up soon. I'm hoping this would compliment Muay Thai.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thats.mana
So has anyone kept up with this over the years? I'm thinking about picking this up soon. I'm hoping this would compliment Muay Thai.
I did it for around 2 years - 2X and on occasion 3X a week. After a while I found myself watching the clock, waiting for Shivasina (corpse pose at the end of the class). I also got tired of looking for a parking spot, competing for floor space, and paying $15 a class, multiplied by 2 because my then cohabitating GF insisted on going. The good part is that it does tone you up quite a bit, in addition to stretching you out. There's a good endorphin rush at the end as well.

joshyle

Reaction score
I tried the P90X Yoga workout a couple of times before doing some classes - it gives you a general idea of what to expect. I found the postures and such from P90X to be more difficult than the (beginner or mid-level?) Bikram class. You just have to overcome the heat, and it's no problem.

Keep it up. You'll feel good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads