• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I am trying to gear down for an Obama administration.

lol8[1].gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Bottle of Oloroso Sherry.

From the supermarket (Tesco's Finest range) but it's actually pretty good - I'm on my second glass already.
smile.gif

Says it's produced & bottled by Luis Alvarez Garcia, but google turns up nothing on them. I wonder if they're a nom de plume for a more well-known maker who doesn't want to be associated with a sherry sold in supermarkets. It's really rather good, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I've become a sherry fiend and bought a bottle of Oloroso Cream yesterday, despite still not finishing the first regular Oloroso. I need the variety!
smile.gif

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross-posted from WAYD because I don't want this thread to sink into oblivion.

b36e57c24cc96e1272dbc30c5f73edb66g.jpg

I also recently bought a bottle of Campari, so that I can enjoy it at home as a digestivo the way I do in restaurants.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
winemontepulcianobotck7.png
861191503894057tb7.jpg

I am working on a good cheap drunk after I got laid off today.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny

Sorry to hear this.

I just purchased a 1989 Bruichladdich 18 year old Unchillfiltered Signatory scotch and a Glenfarclass 21 year old scotch, both of which I tasted at the World of Whiskey Exposition two weeks ago.

On the "good cheep drunk" (or "drink") I'd recommend the Elmer T. Lee Bourbon -- for quality and price this can't be beat.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by topcatny

Sorry to hear this. Alcohol is a great medication we can always prescribe for ourselves.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Funny, I never really liked the Vesper. My understanding is that Lillet Blanc is NOT Kina Lillet (misses the quinine). My preference for Lillet Blanc is my own creation, the White Manhattan -- 2oz good gin (Junipero, Martin Miller, etc), one oz Lillet Blanc, dash of either Luxardo Maraschino or St. Germain, and a twist. Stunning.

~ H

You are correct, Kina Lillet and Lillet Blanc are not one in the same. Given that the former is no longer available, the latter must do.

Some friends and I did a Vesper Martini tasting party where we tried various iterations of gins and vodkas with the drink. My favorite is making it with the following:

Three measures of Broker's Englih Gin
One measure of Gray Goose Vodka
Half measure of Lillet Blac

Shaken over ice, and with a generous twist. I find this to be a particularly refreshing version of the Martini and one I enjoy on warm days, as well as in the evening.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Sorry to hear this. Alcohol is a great medication we can always prescribe for ourselves.

That it is. I am trying to keep tonight somewhat reasonable. The kids are finally asleep and my wife is flying home on the red eye. It is still going to be an early morning for me tomorrow.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Within the past week:

Boodles
Tanqueray 10
Basil Hayden's
Woodford Reserve
Lillet Blanc
Lillet Rouge
Vya Extra Dry Vermouth

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a small-scale late-night grocery run. The main goal was chicken breasts, but somehow I walked out with a couple of young wines, nothing special: an RMPS Pinot Noir 2006 and a Bodegas Montecillo Crianza 2005. Each under $10, so no big loss if they aren't very good, but here's hoping they're quaffable. The Mondavi at least should be a decent value.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preface: The pic sucks, and my only excuse is that I still cannot find the digital camera.

Game: Whoever reply's first with the correct answer has an open invitation to drink with me at my home anytime they decide to actually stop in "flyover country" and visit my hometown of St. Louis.

What drink am I going to make? (this should be really easy)

I know I am going to get a lot of disparaging comments about the brand of absinthe I bought, and those comments are probably rightly deserved. My local liquor store has 3-4 brands of absinthe, none of which are known to be very good. Oh well.

Actually, the answer to my own question is contained within this post...

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're going for a Sazerac, one of the great classic cocktails.

Major kudos on the Black Maple Hill rye. I've recently come into contact with their hard-to-find bourbons, and I'd love to own a few bottles of various ages. And 23 years old? That must have cost a pretty penny.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct answer! I haven't tried it yet, but the Black Maple Hill rye is supposedly very good. I'm aching to compare it to my Rittenhouse 23 yr as well. The Black Maple Hill bottle was around $125 which seemed like a pretty good price to me. Everyone has their own price scale, and my bar only consists of 12-15 bottles of liquor (not counting stuff like vermouth, cointreau, etc). I don't drink tons and tons, so I like to have a couple of pretty good bottles. Stop by St. Louis sometime, and we can taste them all.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Christopher Cox