• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Just Bought a... (Wine, Spirit, or Beer)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
First question: What do you want to do with your bar? Do you have a focus, or just an all-around bar to start?

Gin, bourbon, rum and scotch is a good start. I'd say the most serious thing you're missing is a brandy and a cognac ( I usually like to have one 'mixing' and one 'drinking' of every spirit to start), for which I'd recommend Christian Brothers ($20) and Pierre Ferrand Ambre ($50). I also note no tequila, which is an area I am not too familiar, though I use Tres Generations silver fon my margaritas and such. I really enjoy rye, so I'd have a classic American rye like Sazerac 6 ($26) or Wild Turkey ($22). Many would also note that you are missing a Canadian rye, like Crown Royal

Mixers: the single most important mixer is a good triple sec. I only use Cointreau. It is neccessary for an infinity of cocktails; will give you a lot of options. Easily half the time my drink is a base spirit, a citrus, Cointreau -- Sidecar, Pegu Club, Margarita, Alabazam, etc; or with a modifier also -- Avaiation, Corpse Reviver, etc.

Choice of other mixers depends on where you want to go: Classic herbal cocktails: yellow and green chartreuse, Benedictine (not B&B). After dinner cocktails, creme de cacao, Kahlua, Amaretto.

The other question is if you want some cordials/liquers to drink/mix. St. Germain is my favorite modern one, but I use it rarely. Grand Marnier is great neat, but I mix it rarely. Creme de violette, mostly for aviations. Amaretto, good to drink and mix.

So, my immediate rec: Cointreau, Brandy, and a jar of Amarena Fabbri honest-to-goodness Maraschino cherries from Amazon or Williams-Sonoma. The regular red things are vile.

~ H

Well I guess since its being discussed... I have cointreau and luxardo maraschino cherries. I have a bottle of Tres Copas tequila but only for sipping. Don't ever make tequila cocktails. I have creme de violette, green chartreuese...did I mention Luxardo?

I think that covers what I have.

Not sure what I'm looking for, I guess what else do I need to round that out and then how to tie it all together. I find I have to look up recipes then I forget them. And I always just buy random parts at the booze store or just stuff for specific drinks.

Make me as knowledgeable as you Huntsman!

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Don't forget about bitters, Edina. Very important for many cocktails. Try a manhattan with and one without, side by side. Will totally convince you of the importance of bitters.

I forgot, I have several bottles of bitters. Angostura, Peychaud's, Fee's orange, peach, lemon, old fashioned, and I think one other.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, I bought a Zaya gift set with two nice spirits glasses for less than the price of a bottle of Zaya (don't ask me how the math works) that is already about 60% gone.

And some Lillet. That's some good ****.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Also, I bought a Zaya gift set with two nice spirits glasses for less than the price of a bottle of Zaya (don't ask me how the math works) that is already about 60% gone.

And some Lillet. That's some good ****.

Lillet Blanc new or old recipe? I was standing in front of a bottle some days ago and was contemplating to buy but was shooed away by the fact that it's nothing like "back in the days".

runner-guy

Reaction score
Brought a 6 pack of this to a party last weekend:

Winter%20White%20Six.tif.png

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I guess since its being discussed... I have cointreau and luxardo maraschino cherries. I have a bottle of Tres Copas tequila but only for sipping. Don't ever make tequila cocktails. I have creme de violette, green chartreuese...did I mention Luxardo? I think that covers what I have. Not sure what I'm looking for, I guess what else do I need to round that out and then how to tie it all together. I find I have to look up recipes then I forget them. And I always just buy random parts at the booze store or just stuff for specific drinks. Make me as knowledgeable as you Huntsman! I forgot, I have several bottles of bitters. Angostura, Peychaud's, Fee's orange, peach, lemon, old fashioned, and I think one other.
Whew. Ok. Will reply after finals.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, I bought a Zaya gift set with two nice spirits glasses for less than the price of a bottle of Zaya (don't ask me how the math works) that is already about 60% gone. And some Lillet. That's some good ****.
Ed, you have a pic of that Zaya gift set by any chance? That would make a great gift for a friend of mine but I couldn't come up with anything via Google.
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
Picked up a bottle Rhum Clement VSOP and a bottle Lillet Blanc.
lookaround.gif

Is your bottle tall and skinny or fat at the top and skinny at the bottom?
Originally Posted by ama
drool.gif

+1

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Ed, you have a pic of that Zaya gift set by any chance? That would make a great gift for a friend of mine but I couldn't come up with anything via Google.

No but it was a nice looking gift set. Sorry .

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
The Clement. When I googled it after you posted it I saw the (new?) fat shape. That's what I'm used to seeing but apparently there is a standard looking bottle with the little net on top.
My quick check of teh interwebz said that the "regular" bottle with the fibers around was the old one and was discontinued because the old women who did it all died and there was no new staff acquired to replace them, so they moved to a different packaging. Take it with a grain of salt but that's what Al Gore has put in the internet for us.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads