• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't get Secular Humanism

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Contingency Plan
On the one hand, it upholds human rights, dignity and worth; but on the other, undermines any objective, external basis for these claims.

Surely man derives his worth from his status as the divine image-bearer; how can any secular worldview - in which we are but random collections of atoms - suggest humans have value?

What am I missing here?

Enlightement, human nature and pretty much all the philosophies that lead to representative modern democracies, constitutions and all that sorta stuff? In short you're missing an education.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I found the meaning of life in a Tom Cruise movie. Logical Negativism.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the one hand, it upholds human rights, dignity and worth; but on the other, undermines any objective, external basis for these claims.

Surely man derives his worth from his status as the divine image-bearer; how can any secular worldview - in which we are but random collections of atoms - suggest humans have value?

What do you mean by "self worth"? If this is not trolling, self worth is inherent and secular humanism doesn't point out that we are "random collections of atoms".

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
lol8[1].gif
You know, if you, RJ, and matt were all homos, I'd be the happiest gurl in the whole wide world.

You'll notice manton isn't in that list, because I already consider him in teh sisterhood.

These can be just as bad. Two words: INDIAN CURRY.

I'm still unsure about RJ. Matt is, all we all know, a model of heteronormative virility, like, say Ceasar or Alexander the Great.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Those are divine miracles.
All I got from the Bible is that I shouldn't eat owls nor satisfy myself on golden idols. I'll add that useful piece of Dogma for my next airport bathroom stall proselytism.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
All I got from the Bible is that I shouldn't eat owls nor satisfy myself on golden idols. I'll add that useful piece of Dogma for my next airport bathroom stall proselytism.
Hey, hey, there's a lot more useful stuff you can get from teh Bible, so let's not disparage. For example, in addition to the above, you also need to burn your grandmother if she sits on a couch next to an unclean person and then sprinkle the blood of a freshly-killed dove over the area where she was sitting.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
Hey, hey, there's a lot more useful stuff you can get from teh Bible, so let's not disparage. For example, in addition to the above, you also need to burn your grandmother if she sits on a couch next to an unclean person and then sprinkle the blood of a freshly-killed dove over the area where she was sitting.
The part about throwing your wife at a crowd of perverts to save a stranger is pretty cool, bitches are expendable anyway.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The part about throwing your wife at a crowd of perverts to save a stranger is pretty cool, bitches are expendable anyway.
Hey now, those were his daughters, but hell, you can make more of those any day. I think he has sex with them later in the book.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1. This sounds like an excellent way to beware teh mollusk, thus allowing her ensnarements to bewitch crowds of others, whilst saving thineself and thine yonder stranger friend. Anyway, perhaps a thread-recap, seeing as how so much excellent critical argument has been offered I'd hate for something to get lost. (1) On the left, we have Secular Humanism. Nobody on the thread gets that, but it is what it is. Wiki link was provided. "movements" aside from those of bowels were largely dismissed. (2) On the right, "diving image bearers." Grandmothers, wives, and daughters were largely expendable. If unclean or sitting on sofas next to unclean people, burn them. If near a stranger in need of help, throw them at perverts. If they are your wives, encourage them to look at naughty things and have have them turned into salt. Eating owls and spurting on graven images= bad. Sprinkling dove blood (fresh) to make amends= good. Finally, objective, external bases for everything= win. Am I missing anything else?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Hey now, those were his daughters, but hell, you can make more of those any day.

I think he has sex with them later in the book.

Maybe,my mind is hazy. I think you're right, virgin daughters too. Only God get the virgin wives of cuckolds like Joseph

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

What am I missing here?

Some straight lines are too obvious to be worth picking up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads