• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Am Legend

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vincent Price > Charleton Heston > Will Smith

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope it's good. Looks like all it has in common with the book is the title, but I didn't really care for the book anyway.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Yeah, I guess that's true. I've only seen parts of Omega, but it was awesome.
No, it was awful. As it was loosely based on the book then I suppose they were free to take certain liberties with it. Unfortunately, it was absolute 1970s crap filled with "counter-culture" bits mixed in so the makers could say there was a "deeper meaning, man..." The previews to this Will Smith version look better but I've had a few complaints after finding out it was being made. Will Smith is wrong for the role. Everyone knows him for action movies and the character in the book, although action-oriented, is NOT an action guy. He is forced into it by circumstance and I think a young version of Steve Buschemi would have really worked here. The book also took place in Compton and while Omega was in LA, it was stupid to have Heston in a penthouse. The book described an average house converted into a fortress that was almost always cast in darkness because of the boards around the windows; this gave it a very gritty and realistic feel. I use "realistic" because the concept of the story was that while fiction it could happen and the main character's actions/emotions/thoughts were of the average man; this was far more effective in scaring the reader than simply having it take place on Mars in the year 2089. I can only hope Smith's version will stick to this. If you haven't read "Legend," I would highly recommend it. It's easily one of my favorite novels while I'm not typically a fan of the horror genre. Matheson has done a lot of amazing work and in my opinion is nothing short of an underrated Ray Bradbury.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who's seen Last Man On Earth?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
No, I forgot to throw it in there. It followed the book pretty well but Price was just such an odd guy that it was hard for me to think of him as an "average" guy, even if his character was a doctor.

It was far superior to Omega.

Mike

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Am I really the only one who's seen Last Man On Earth?

Nope. A DVD version of it is sitting on my coffee table as we speak. Vincent Price rules!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I rented it from the Library when I was like fifteen.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini

It's easily one of my favorite novels while I'm not typically a fan of the horror genre.

You strike me as an avid Danielle Steele reader.

Will Smith is basically the wrong actor for almost all his roles (did anyone see Ali or "Enemy of the State" or ....?), but he is usually decent enough, has more crossover appeal (black/white/young/old) than anyone and gets people to the box office.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel

Will Smith is basically the wrong actor for almost all his roles (did anyone see Ali or "Enemy of the State" or ....?), but he is usually decent enough, has more crossover appeal (black/white/young/old) than anyone and gets people to the box office.

Jamas. Ese tipo de mariconada la dejo para que tengas algo que leer con tu novio. And you strike me as a fan of such books as "Jim the Postman Delivers his Package to Timmy," "War and Piece of Schlong," and who could forget your favorite, "The Old Man and the Sea(men)."

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I had him pegged as a Maeve Binchy fan.
binchynv1.jpg
819461.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Vincent Price > Charleton Heston > Will Smith

You should throw a few extra "greater than" signs after Vincent's name. I really like his stuff, from "The Fly" to the Roger Corman extravaganzas to his spectacular turn as Dr. Phibes to his voicework on "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo" to his narration of the charmingly decrepit Historama in Tombstone, Ariz. Oh yeah, and he was Egghead.

Now that's a resume.

carlhuber

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
No, it was awful. As it was loosely based on the book then I suppose they were free to take certain liberties with it.
I humbly disagree. I absolutely loved (the first half) of The Omega Man. I'll freely admit that I have neither read the book nor seen the Price interpretation of it, but I do know what they're about and how they differ from the Omega Man. On its own Heston's movie is fantastic to people who can appreciate 70s action camp and the swagger of Heston being the master of his own domain.
the_Omega_Man_05.jpg
the_Omega_Man_14.jpg
Okay, okay, the second half of the movie gets rather eyerollingly ludicrous, but the first half is fantastic. IMHO, of course. Edit: to the point of the thread, I think Will Smith's movie is going to a steaming pile of Hollywood trash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads