• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am going to take the plunge into straight razors

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cldpsu
(...)
What do you think about the quality of a carbon steel? I am considering getting the art of shaving kit (not sure yet how to tell what my skin is like) and might get the black 105 dollar straight razor... after having it honed properly.. do you think it would prove worthy?

What are the downfalls of a 100 dollar straight razor or a carbon steel material..? After seeing 700 dollar razors on classic shaving i feel like 100 is crap or something lol. I take it the material of the handle adds a lot to the price though.

First, price is not necessarily indicative of quality. I've yet to spend over $100 on a razor, and some of my best shavers came to me used for $20-50. Anything over $200 has a lot of handwork and/or exotic materials, which may or may not translate into a better shave.

Now, steel quality is a factor, but it's fairly simple (sort of...). There's carbon, and there's stainless. Steels will vary by manufacturer and by region, but for the most part - Solingen and Sheffield are two areas that come to mind for quality steels. Then again, I've had good luck with Poland (Wapienica), Spain (Filarmonica), and France (Thiers-Issard) as far as production razors go. There are other possibilities with steels (Damascus, etc) but those generally inhabit the higher price points.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the art of shaving has that carbon steel thiers-issard I am considering getting. It's $105. Thanks for the help by the way.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Well the art of shaving has that carbon steel thiers-issard I am considering getting. It's $105. Thanks for the help by the way.

If its anything like other AoS products, don't. They're like the Bose of shaving: good products, but massively jacked up prices.

Get a dovo from classic shaving, or research a bit and grab a vintage razor off ebay.

Opcn

Reaction score
That is probably an ok price for that razor, $10-15 too much at the most.

the courser your beard the heavier a Razor you are going to want; however starting out a wide blade is reportedly hard to wield so you should go for a 5/8 or 6/8 and keep in mind that the heavier razors (wedges and 1/4 hollow grounds) will be more forgiving of bad technique but less close shaving in the long run. TI's hold their edges well, but you will have to get what ever Razor you buy hand honed, something AOS probably doesn't do.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've gotten good shaves from blades from 4/8 to 7/8, although I've certainly cut myself more with the 7/8. Lately I've been using an old half-hollow 5/8 Wade & Butcher and have had some fantastic shaves with it.

You might look into straightrazorplace or badgerandblade, members tend to sell razors from time to time, and most will hone them for you so there's no question that they're shave ready.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for th advice but I'm most likely going to buy from classicshaving and have them hone it for the additional 20 bucks

Opcn

Reaction score
Thanks for th advice but I'm most likely going to buy from classicshaving and have them hone it for the additional 20 bucks

The fellow who hones for Classic shaving is the fellow who runs Straight Razor Place, so essentially you are taking his advice, only with a new blade.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Opcn
The fellow who hones for Classic shaving is the fellow who runs Straight Razor Place, so essentially you are taking his advice, only with a new blade.

His name is Lynn, I believe. FWIW, when I used to frequent the group, he would hone most people's razors for free, as long as we paid shipping. At the time, his advice was the same. I'd guess ClassicShaving makes as much off the service as he does, if not more.

Opcn

Reaction score
Classic Shaving just sent me a 7/8 singing TI hand honed by Lynn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads