• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Huge tailoring mistake - what are my options?

dmass1

Reaction score
I think there's a perfect length that can be good for both, but agree that its a very small window and can be tough to achieve. The tailor nailed it with the first shirt, but the rest were a disaster.

The reason that the penguin shirt posted looks good untucked is because the hem is more horizontal and straight when compared to a standard "dress shirt" meant to be tucked in. This is how the test shirt was done and how I had hope the others would turn out. I think if a shirt with said hem hits about 3/4 of the way down your fly, or about 5 inches from the top of the pants it can look untucked and work tucked as well.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. I'm going to slim them to make them look cleaner and more proportionate and just wear them untucked I guess.

dmass1

Reaction score
Yea. He said he followed the shape of the original hem. I told him that's not how he cut the first shirt but he didn't recall ( I even asked him if he wanted to keep the test shirt as a reference while he worked and he declined ) He acknowledged that he made a mistake and offered to slim the shirts but couldn't get a refund. Probably could have gotten my $ back if I pushed, but I didn't feel like making a scene and hiring someone else to try to save the shirts.

Will update when I get em back....

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
he already cut too much off, and you're gonna try to cut off more to fix them?
confused.gif

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
I would have demanded a refund. A good tailor would have refunded or offered to try and fix the shirts without you asking first.

I find it is very hard to have a shirt that can be worn both tucked in and un tucked. Their are a few more variables that go into each specific shirt that would allow this. So, the model Polo shirt you gave him was useless since the other 8 shirts are constructed differently.

I am having trouble finding a decent tailor in my area. I know of one place that is good, but its an hour away and pricey.

post some pics

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
tbh, OP didn't give him enough instructions. If he wanted something a certain way, he needed to go through each of the 8 shirts, indicate to which length the front and back should've been, as well as the sides, individually. It's the only way - once material is cut, it's not going to be able to magically reconnected.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
did you try on EACH shirt and have him measure and you ok'd the length on EACH shirt?
or did you use the test shirt as the "test shirt" and say.."make these 8 like that?"
this^^ is key....if you tried on EACH shirt...his bad...
if you didn't...your bad!
if your bad......know that EVERY different brand is cut differently and you should NEVER go to a tailor with a pair of pants(for example)and say.."cuff these at a 30" length"..without trying with proper shoes on.

so....did you try on each shirt?

dmass1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
did you try on EACH shirt and have him measure and you ok'd the length on EACH shirt?
or did you use the test shirt as the "test shirt" and say.."make these 8 like that?"
this^^ is key....if you tried on EACH shirt...his bad...
if you didn't...your bad!
if your bad......know that EVERY different brand is cut differently and you should NEVER go to a tailor with a pair of pants(for example)and say.."cuff these at a 30" length"..without trying with proper shoes on.

so....did you try on each shirt?

i did in fact try each shirt on and he pinned them where they were to be hemmed in front and back. As I said before, the problem is with sides because he followed the shape of the original hem going much shorter on the sides. Maybe I should have been more adamant, I figured he'd cut them the same as the first (where he made the hem slightly shorter on the sides but mostly a horizontal cut). Really this is his error more than mine.

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
he already cut too much off, and you're gonna try to cut off more to fix them?
confused.gif

Yea - I know it seems kind of counterintuitive, but the only way I'm able to wear them now is untucked because they're so short and I think they'll look better if they're slimmed and don't have 3 inches of extra fabric in the front and back.

Still pissed, but hopefully this works out. At the very least I've learned a valuable lesson.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe you could get away using the shirt both tucked and not tucked if the rise is sufficient. I like the rise at a point high enough so the length is enough to stay tucked in while still looking good with jeans without a tuck.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feel bad for you man, I'd be pretty upset if this happened. Post up pics, maybe it isn't as bad as you think?

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dmass1
I didn't think this was possible anyway if I tailored the shirt myself? Anyhow, these were clearance shirts, no more in my size, and I believe they are no longer making the extra slim fit ginghams. Oh well

It is possible. I don't know where you are coming up with these arbitrary restrictions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Did you specify to NOT follow the original shape of the hem? Because that's pretty important.

+1.
I was at a tailor once for a minor alteration and some dude was getting some slacks hemmed. So he is standing on the box in front of the mirror, barefoot, and the tailor just marks a spot with chalk and the guy says...ok.....didn't factor in the fact that he has no shoes/how high or low he wears his pants/etc. IMO, it's up to the customer to specify exactly what they want.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics