• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How would I dress casually?

agp

Reaction score
I think most people wear jeans when you tell them to dress "casually" for something, but I don't have a single pair of jeans in my arsenal. The pants area of my closet is filled with broken-in chinos. Keeping in mind that a collarless t-shirt is unacceptable, if I were going to a backyard BBQ, or an informal gathering, how would I dress casually but not blend in?

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
frown.gif

agp

Reaction score
Hahaha I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on my first pair of jeans soon. Maybe within the next month.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Dream big boys.

Siwash

Reaction score
A casual backyard BBQ? I know this is SF but i would wear shorts and a polo shirt, check out the Brooks Brother's site, everything you see there is classic and acceptable...and buy some jeans...just not dad jeans...lighten up..have fun ..life is short

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A tux or three-piece suit is the most casual I get.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
Second Siwash on the polo. Otherwise, I would go for a linen button up with the sleeves rolled up.

If it looks good, you won't blend in.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shorts and a polo shirt for an afternoon BBQ. A pair of lightweight cotton slacks and a linen button-front shirt if you think the event's likely to last into the evening. No socks in either case.

As long as everything fits, you won't have to worry about blending in.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek

Rif raf. I'm so posh, I thought the royal wedding was motel 6 level casual.

But on a serious note, chinos + untucked sport shirt with sleeves rolled up high is a great backyard bbq look.

tennisguru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by agp
Hahaha I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on my first pair of jeans soon. Maybe within the next month.

Treat yourself! Richard James do a gorgeous range of Raw Denim jeans.

Or, if you don't fancy springing that much on your first pair, then I'm a huge fan of 'We R' who make some beautifully detailed jeans, in some very high quality denim.

Or, if you don't fancy spending that much then Diesel is always a winner, again, tey have a new range of Raw denim, which are great!

cheers

agp

Reaction score
As of footwear, which would be more appropriate - leather flip flops/sandals, or Sperry topsiders?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek

Class, I am going to sig that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads