• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How wide do you like your leg opening on dress trousers?

How wide?

• 7”

Votes: 139 18.7%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 207 27.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 206 27.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 99 13.3%
  • 9”

Votes: 48 6.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 18 2.4%
  • 10”

Votes: 10 1.3%
  • 10.5”

Votes: 17 2.3%

• Total voters

epsilon22

Reaction score
Quite surprised to see the majority of the poll votes are in the 7.5-8" range. I've found that 8" is probably my minimum, anything lower usually tapers sharply enough to get caught on my calves (something like 17" circumference).

Learned through mistakes of course. My next pair I'll probably try 8.5-9" and more room from thighs down.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
22cm / 8.75" for me. Anything under 20cm / 8" just looks too skinny.

Acceptable, the minimum for me.

Here in Brooklyn, I'd say a majority of men are still wearing slim fit chinos and jeans (probably 7.5" and below). The exception are young men who seem to be leaning hard back to the JNCO days.

Most of my leg openings, from jeans to formal trousers, are 8" to 8.5", which works fine for me: easy-ish to find OTR and not too big, not too slim by my eye.

Definitely too narrow, but I understand, it's so difficult to find a bigger width in RTW trousers nowadays. MTM or bespoke are the only way to get the wished width.

paxonus

Reaction score
tumblr_mzj9qbSFPF1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

jko

Reaction score
This whole discussion is pretty useless if trouser size is not taken into account. If you wear big boy trousers, you need a wider leg opening. Something that is too narrow for you, might be perfect for someone smaller, and vice versa.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This whole discussion is pretty useless if trouser size is not taken into account. If you wear big boy trousers, you need a wider leg opening. Something that is too narrow for you, might be perfect for someone smaller, and vice versa.

The size is relative, you can have a similar silhouette on differently built men, proportions matter.

Here the same gentleman wearing narrower, much more tapered trousers (also with a shorter jacket), by far less flattering in my eyes.

Screenshot (2293).png

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The only RTW brands I'm aware of that offer wider trousers are Stefano Ricci (made by St. Andrews - hem width in the 8.75 range for a 32 inch waist trouser), and Tom Ford (special order Windsor trouser). Any other ones?

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yyyflower