• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How walkable is your neighborhood?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Hmmm, Seabright Beach, Santa Cruz gets a 60 but my current home gets a 77. I am close to the village (2/3 mile) but other than that you need a car. However, from Seabright, you can walk to several different shopping areas, to the Boardwalk, and to downtown. System is flawed, methinks.
Walking in vampire country is iffy.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the system just calculates a score based on number of businesses in certain categories within a certain distance of you address. Try entering an address two blocks away and you will probably get a score that is 10-20 points different, unless you are in a middle of nowhere or in a very densely populated area.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Walking in vampire country is iffy.

I used to live near that railroad bridge they hang down from in the movie. The shortest route to my house to the Boardwalk was over that bridge, and I walked over it frequently. The San Lorenzo River is however about 3 feet deep after a week of rainfall, so jumping off head first is going to get your neck broken.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
How "walkable" someplace is in regards to this thread and that website refers to how close essential places to living are---- grocery stores, restaurants, coffee shops, bars, schools, libraries, parks, etc. Not with how safe it is to walk. The website admits as much in its "How it doesn't work" section:

Doh. I've been really bad at acutally reading anything lately. Don't have time.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
75 for home, 85 for school.

I wish they took into account proximity to mass transit, since that can really make or break a "walkable" neighborhood. For example, BART in the Bay Area can take you from a 60 to a 100 with no more than a 5 minute walk and a train ride.

Serg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
3-4th person who is in or around Hartford on SF. Downtown is pretty walkable though missing some important things.

6 block square of interesting things. Total ghost town sundays (unless there is a game) and alot of holidays. Still more interesting than yuppie-ville (west hartford downtown). Jojo's coffee is half the reason, I like it here...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of the reasons we chose were we live is that it is sort of a suburb, but still very walkable. we weren't ready for a car only suburb

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walk Score: 12 out of 100 "” Car-Dependent

But I like where I live. It is on a cul-de-sac and there are no sidewalks. No apartments around--so no rift raft or drifters.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A credible suburban 60 at my house -- my old apartment which is less than two miles away is an 80, so my misanthropic instincts are clearly well attuned ...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads