• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to wear boots that are too large?

cartoonhead

Reaction score
I purchased some boots online and they arrived today. To my dismay, the size I am usually comfortable in is too big when it comes to this boot. I'm wondering what tricks I could use to make it more wearable? I've tried double layering my socks and putting folded tissue paper at the back of the heel. This does help quite a lot albeit a little time consuming. Are there other things I could try, or different materials I could use at the back of my heel?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sending them back and buying in the right size? It's not worth to try to make cloth/shoes "work" if it's obviously not fitting by a wide margin.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1/4 size too large - jimmy, or non slip sueded stick on heel pads
1/2 size too large - insert Sockliner or tongue pads
1 size too large - combination of sockliner, thick socks and tongue pads
2 size too large - wear vibram fivefingers then your boots.
laugh.gif

From your description, I'd rather send them back for the correct size.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Squirrel
#1 Return them.
#2 If you cannot do #1, try an insert such as Dr Schols
#3 Still no fit... sell them

+1

jacnyr

Reaction score
You don't mention as what type of boots you have. I have a couple of pairs of cowboy boots that I must move down a 1/2 size, even then, there is some slipping at the heel. After a period of breaking in the leather sole flexes and the slipping at the heel disappears.
I hope you didn't wear your boots outside. It is best new shoes are worn around the house for a period of time to make sure they fit. If worn outside, one cannot expect the retailer to accept a return.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
Cowboy boots MUST slip in the heel to fit properly. That is how they are designed. If you don't get heel slippage the sizing is incorrect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads