• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to put these things in my resume?

jakeyt

Reaction score
1. I worked as an independent consultant for a year and a half trying to do my own thing. During that time, a friend and mine started working together on a company venture (he LLC'ed the company). We kind of did stuff here and there. On my resume, I listed some overall duties, but how should I list accomplishments? We tried out some monetizatrion strategies that made a few thousand, and met some developers, but overall it didn't bring millions so I got a job elsewhere. Not sure how to show it on my resume.

2. I work for a company that recently re-branded. The company was a parent company of two subsidiary companies (that re-branded with the parent company). I got promoted from one company or division into the other one. How should i list this on my resume?

*Branded Company, My Current Title

OR

*Branded Company, Previous Titles

OR

*Old Company Name, My Current Title
*Other Old Company Name, Previous Titles

kevinmcmurphy

Reaction score
Seem like no one is willing, so I'll take a shot at this for you.

On the first, I would name the company, your roles, and what you accomplished in those. Be prepared to verbally discuss what you discovered about the industry and (more importantly) yourself during that time. How did it lead to the next thing?

For the 2nd I would put it like this:
*Branded Company, Previous Titles

And again describe the different roles. IF anyone asks (unlikely) explain that it's the same company rebranded.

The key is that you want your resume to whet there appetite, and you want your interview to tell a coherent story of your work journey. I started here, learned all of this, and now I can offer you this.

-KM

CTLION

Reaction score

Should I list the company's name?

Why would you not list the company's name? The only way I would leave off a company's name is if it was Enron or Madoff. Other than that...yes.

Will it matter...probably not a ton unless it's a household name. I look at the company but I weigh the experience for what it is.

jakeyt

Reaction score
My friend filed the paper work on it, but we worked together on it. Not sure if my name is actually on anything there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads