• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get ****** motivated to get in shape?

Reaction score
Suggestions?

markhealy2014

Reaction score
Think about why you want to get motivated, if it is for yourself you will reach your goal, if it's cause others tell you then you prob won't. Take the leap that's right for you find joy in an exercise program for me was fitness classes, they got me hooked! The interaction the music other like minded people.
By finding enjoyment it will make you want to keep at it.

LeatherBoot

Reaction score
Having a personal trainer works the best for me. Even if it's only once a week. Diet is the hardest part though....if you need to truly change your diet it can be helpful to have a friend on the same diet for support and accountability until it becomes second nature.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just do something that you enjoy. Fun and enjoyment are great motivators.

Reaction score

Have you ever been regularly physical? How much time do you have to dedicate a week?

Used to be super fit before, last century :) Have lots of time to dedicate.

Reaction score
Start very small. Like five pushups a day. Promise yourself to increase by 1-2 reps a day. This creates a sense of suspense and wanting to do more each day.
It worked for me.
As for competition, I second that idea. My use of the stairs in my apartment building evolved into training for competitive stair runs - I've done three so far,
going for a fourth in just a few weeks.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just do something that you enjoy. Fun and enjoyment are great motivators.

this.

obv also depends on your definition of what is "in shape" but I also strongly recommend taking up activities you enjoy.

mrsam88

Reaction score
If you don`t want it bad enough (which I am assuming you are not since you are posting here), get a personal trainer or a buddy to motivate you and keep your ass in gear. I found that relying on my own "motivation potential" was never enough, sadly...

enjoiii

Reaction score
I got into pretty bad shape as my love of food and drinking outweighed my desire to look good (which was one of the major reasons I wanted to be in shape). When I found something physically demanding that I loved doing (hiking, climbing & mountaineering) which I completely sucked at to begin with due to being out of shape - it became much easier as I had a good reason to get into shape and I could see improvements in my performance in the mountains.

I also found getting into a routine that works for you is very helpful:
-I always eat very similar things 80% of the time (bring lunch to work also)
-I am able to workout at lunch at work so I workout Mon, Wed + Friday every week with weekends in the mountains.

benjclark

Reaction score
Like someone said: A routine is a net to capture your day. I've gotten out of my routine (new lady, new job, new state, new house, new baby...) and need to get back on it, so I've been looking back and reflecting what worked in the past.

For me, I shocked myself with enjoying running! I *hated* it as a youngster. When I was more active, I ran at least 3 miles, 5 days a week. I also kept registering for little runs -- 5Ks here and there, that way I always had a reason beyond myself and my personal satisfactions to stay motivated. I was "training" for the next race, which was always X weeks/days away. When I didn't have a race, I'd slack.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no better motivation for me than being able to wear Tom Ford and Cuccinelli. Keeps me on Paleo, in the gym and avoiding carbs

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Set some goals. Make them specific and measurable. Make them related to a sport you play. What's that? You don't play a sport? Time to start.

Once you've got some goals, then make a plan. Once you have a plan, just follow it.

If you don't know anything about sports, exercise, or training. Then you'll need to read a couple books to start.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollandrichard199