• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to buy school rings cheap

Omegablogger

Reaction score
This is an eye opener for a Brit, the whole ring thing is completely unheard of here.

What happens if you change schools a lot? Maybe that's why Gypsies wear a lot of rings?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Omegablogger
What happens if you change schools a lot? Maybe that's why Gypsies wear a lot of rings?

In that situation, you should only get a ring from whatever school gives you the diploma at the end.

I have a gold ring with a shield or whatever that's called on it, but I virtually never wear it (for one, it doesn't fit). It's for my regular 4 year university, and was a gift. I might have it resized for university events, but rarely go to those anyway.

I wouldn't get one for any graduate school or professional school degrees.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
I think I like the idea of a ring because my father had a law school and not an undergrad ring...I would always stare at it when I was a child, vaguely knowing what it was, but I thought that I wanted one of those too. I think this is why I would want to get a traditional antique finish ring with the stone and detailing, should I get a ring.
Even though I'm not a proponent of class rings, in general, the above statement makes perfect sense to me. Presuming you're going back to the Phillipines (I believe that's your homeland, IIRC) and you know of no negative connotation like the ones here in the U.S. noted in this thread, I say, "Go for it and wear it in good health.". The problem with wearing that ring in the U.S. is that someone noticing your ring doesn't see the jose/father sentimentality attached to it; they see what is generally perceived as a gauche, extraneous piece of jewelry

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
In that situation, you should only get a ring from whatever school gives you the diploma at the end.

I have a gold ring with a shield or whatever that's called on it, but I virtually never wear it (for one, it doesn't fit). It's for my regular 4 year university, and was a gift. I might have it resized for university events, but rarely go to those anyway.

I wouldn't get one for any graduate school or professional school degrees.

Isn't wearing a class ring only to a university event and never any other time kind of like being that guy who wears the t-shirt of the band at the concert he's going to? And it's often really clean like he never wears it otherwise?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Isn't wearing a class ring only to a university event and never any other time kind of like being that guy who wears the t-shirt of the band at the concert he's going to? And it's often really clean like he never wears it otherwise?
Depends if it's George Clinton or not.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
If you say so. Forgive me if i don't believe him, esp after only stating this 5 pages into this nonsense.
Um, why would I even need to disclose my childhood memories in a thread, let alone to you?

greg99

Reaction score
In the Silicon Valley, the Brass Rat has great meaning, and nearly every MIT alum I know wears it regularly, but then I'm in the technology community. It's akin out here to the ring knockers from West Point.

Admittedly, I tend to notice them more, because while I went to school on the West Coast for undergrad, my younger sister (far smarter than I) was on the Ring Committee for her class at MIT in the mid-90s. It was a big deal to be on the Ring Committee, too, because you knew what the design was ahead of time - it was unveiled to great ceremony each year.

I wear my dad's from time to time, who graduated from my university back in '65, and he gave it to me many years ago as it no longer fit him. It's not particularly stylish (complete with blue glass) but it's important to me because of the family connection.

I wouldn't buy one now, and I definitely don't have one from my grad schools (I'm a corporate lawyer with an MBA).

Greg

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j

I guess. I've never worn it, so I don't know. It doesn't fit. It was a gift, but I selected the wrong size, and then got bigger, so now it is rather uncomfortable, although I can get it on and off with effort. As I noted above - mine is rather subtle. No stone or anything like that.

Although, as to your t-shirt thing, a ring wouldn't really get dirty or anything.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, why would I even need to disclose my childhood memories in a thread, let alone to you?

Um you are right, but you haven't held back laying your imaginary life out there for everyone, why start now.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too busy polishing all my Greens and Lobbs with my preferred combination of shoe cream and champagne.

Art Vandelay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
With all due respect, LK has very good taste and is trying to tell you something.

May be or may be not. But he sure is very eager to show off whatever good taste he thinks he has. And devotes plenty of time in doing so.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the Boston University Law School graduation last year but do not recall seeing any class rings. Maybe the BU ring is so discrete and tasteful that I just didn't notice it.
However, it you really want it, then you should get it at the official source for the full price. Have you tried, say, Craigslist to see if you can get a used one?
I didn't get a ring for my high school, undergraduate university, MA university or PhD university. The only regret is that when gold when to $800+ I could have sold then at great profit for myself.
I did, however, buy my wife a nice gold and diamond ring (picture on my blog) over the weekend and am still enjoy her great pleasure she having in her new ring. So, if it means that much to you, get it and pay the price you must.

Aureus

Reaction score
Given the large amount of disdain in this thread for the wearing of school rings in a workplace enviorment I'm curious as to what kind of feelings you would have about someone who would wear a simple oval gold signet masonic ring.

I don't really intend to change my habits but knowing the general internal reaction of others would probably be helpful.

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I agree. The only guys I ever see with class rings are very "bro". Pretty tacky.
Amen. Tacky^2
I think I'm beginning to understand the venom in this thread. It has nothing to do with style and rings, it's just that a number of you think I went to Harvard, right?
It's lower class to wear a class ring. It shows insecurity. The ring says, "hey, I went to college". It's on the same lines with having a visible tattoo (I'm artsy), playing really loud music in the car (I have a taste in music), wearing tank tops (I'm muscular), etc. As noted by Fussel, class rings should only be worn at reunions. The reason the MIT alumni are wearing the brass rat a lot, is that they are clueless about social standards in general. I know, I've been there. Most people there haven't heard of sprezzaturra. --trajan

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads