• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to buy school rings cheap

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Yeah, I think this is a nice summary. I think I like the idea of a ring because my father had a law school and not an undergrad ring. Perhaps it was simply because he did not have the money to buy an undergrad ring at the time, although I know he identifies with his law school far, far more than his undergrad school. He stopped wearing the ring when he got married and got a wedding ring, but it lay on his desk at home. I would always stare at it when I was a child, vaguely knowing what it was, but I thought that I wanted one of those too. I think this is why I would want to get a traditional antique finish ring with the stone and detailing, should I get a ring.

My father also insisted on getting me an undergrad ring even though I thought it was too much of an expense. I never wore any kind of jewelry, but because of my father's sentiment about the ring that far exceeded mine at the time, I ended up wearing it regularly, even when I'm out in just a t-shirt and shorts.

I'm not trying to justify anything, but just felt like sharing that with you.

I'm intrigued by the comments on different cultural norms.

For what it is worth, I would not think someone who put an LLM year school class ring on his desk to look at once in a while to remind himself of a pleasant experience was necessarily an obtuse clod. I would need more information.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this is a nice summary. I think I like the idea of a ring because my father had a law school and not an undergrad ring. Perhaps it was simply because he did not have the money to buy an undergrad ring at the time, although I know he identifies with his law school far, far more than his undergrad school. He stopped wearing the ring when he got married and got a wedding ring, but it lay on his desk at home. I would always stare at it when I was a child, vaguely knowing what it was, but I thought that I wanted one of those too. I think this is why I would want to get a traditional antique finish ring with the stone and detailing, should I get a ring.

My father also insisted on getting me an undergrad ring even though I thought it was too much of an expense. I never wore any kind of jewelry, but because of my father's sentiment about the ring that far exceeded mine at the time, I ended up wearing it regularly, even when I'm out in just a t-shirt and shorts.

I'm not trying to justify anything, but just felt like sharing that with you.

I'm intrigued by the comments on different cultural norms.

to me this is perfect justification - doing something because your father did it, and you have always pictured yoursefl doing it works for me.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to second dopey... a class ring for an LLM is rather lame. I know the foreign LLM's at my school were looked down upon were def not viewed as equals. I think if you stay stateside, it could hurt more than help in the profession.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zarathustra
I have to second dopey... a class ring for an LLM is rather lame. I know the foreign LLM's at my school were looked down upon were def not viewed as equals. I think if you stay stateside, it could hurt more than help in the profession.

Well, getting a ring for the sake of family tradition or attached childhood memories with the ability to wear it every so often with discretion is different than our presumptuous notions that Jose is looking to "flaunt" what school he went to or would be necessarily subjecting himself to further ridicule for the sole fact he actually purchased a ring. He has other reasons for getting it that I don't see qualifies as "lame."

Admiral Cod

Reaction score
Class rings are gauche, IMO. They are worn by the same kind of people who put college stickers on their car windows.

It advertises social insecurity and vulgarity.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well, getting a ring for the sake of family tradition or attached childhood memories with the ability to wear it every so often with discretion is different than our presumptuous notions that Jose is looking to "flaunt" what school he went to or would be necessarily subjecting himself to further ridicule for the sole fact he actually purchased a ring. He has other reasons for getting it that I don't see qualifies as "lame."

If you say so. Forgive me if i don't believe him, esp after only stating this 5 pages into this nonsense.

Now, back to polishing my EG's er... AE's errr.. JM's before my happy hour at the Haaaaavaaaaard Club.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I recognize what a number of you have said, minus the more obnoxious and over the top comments. Might I ask you to elaborate on the above opinion, however?

After 5+ pages dopey says in pithy form what many others have been saying at much greater length, and you feel the need to ask him to elaborate?
sarcasm.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Has this ever not been the appropriate response to a JosePidal thread?

Well, what about the time he spilled cocktail sauce on his shoes. Or his coat? Or tie? Or something? Whatever it got spilled on, it wasn't exactly one of those "do whatever you feel is right" moments.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Now Open!

Matts-knockoff-ring-emporium

100% sweaty Vietnamese guy craftsmanship!

Graduate from any college on earth!

Some schools include:
Hoxford
Kambridges
Hartvard
U. Peen
MITT
ULCA
The Ho Chi Minh City University of Pedagogy (yes! It Exists!)

Graduate from three schools and save 10%!

Contact us now! [email protected]

snork[1].gif
crackup[1].gif

I think I'm beginning to understand the venom in this thread. It has nothing to do with style and rings, it's just that a number of you think I went to Harvard, right?

I have no venom. I'm not even clear on whether you went to Harvard or BU. You seem to have claimed both in the past. I'm also not clear on your exact country of origin, but this also does not fill my heart with venom.

As to class rings, I think the direct answer to your question is that no one knows a way to cut out the middle man so you can get a discount. As to whether a class ring is right for you, as was stated above, this is something you must figure out for yourself. I myself have a class ring from college (gold signet). I stopped wearing it sometime in my mid-twenties, and it sits in a drawer to this day.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't the thread linking to his commencement address at HLS put this issue to rest?

WSW

Reaction score
For someone who seems to desperately need our help, he does lie to us alot.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Now Open!

Matts-knockoff-ring-emporium

100% sweaty Vietnamese guy craftsmanship!

Graduate from any college on earth!

Some schools include:
Hoxford
Kambridges
Hartvard
U. Peen
MITT
ULCA
The Ho Chi Minh City University of Pedagogy (yes! It Exists!)

Graduate from three schools and save 10%!

Contact us now! [email protected]

Can I get a matching tie tack, cuff links, and belt buckle to coordinate with my ring?

MunnyGuy

Reaction score
While reading this post, an advert on television was mentioning these FANTASTIC classes you can take to train for a better career, you get a Diploma AND A FREE CLASS RING!!!
Even better they let you finance the course at a LOW LOW introductory rate (29% APR)!!!!

I am just Stirring ****. But it really did play on my television. I think it is a perfect example of how the concept of a Class RIng means very little (other than the institutions previoulsy mentioned). I mean every one can have one. Sort of like the old Gold & Platinum card... it used to mean something.... no longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads