• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Buy a Pocket Square

jz687

Reaction score
Hi,

I've never owned a pocket square and I'm looking to buy my first one.

I was just wondering what one should look for in a pocket square in terms of material.... I've seen silk and linen etc... Just not sure if there are reasons to choose either over the other....

Also, I was wondering as to what colours/patterns are appropriate for formal occasions such as weddings. I'm guessing white, is the most conservative choice, just not too sure about how unconventional one should be, or how to match the square to the rest of the outfit.

Thanks.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A white cotton or linen square in a TV fold is always appropriate and never frowned upon.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
A white cotton or linen square in a TV fold is always appropriate and never frowned upon.
I'm a huge fan of white linen pocket squares.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I'm a huge fan of white linen pocket squares.
Agreed. I only own 1 PS and it's white linen. I don't know much, but try not to match your PS to your tie or shirt or suit. Not sure how to spot quality but it isn't going to get rough treatment so who cares.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This white cotton with subtle leaf pattern is also suitable for a first pocket square. Appropriate for any occasion that calls for a plain white square but has a subtle pattern that will only be noticed upon close inspection.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jz687
Hi,

I've never owned a pocket square and I'm looking to buy my first one.

I was just wondering what one should look for in a pocket square in terms of material.... I've seen silk and linen etc... Just not sure if there are reasons to choose either over the other....

Also, I was wondering as to what colours/patterns are appropriate for formal occasions such as weddings. I'm guessing white, is the most conservative choice, just not too sure about how unconventional one should be, or how to match the square to the rest of the outfit.

Thanks.

If you are going to a wedding wearing a morning suit or dark grey with white shirt I would agree with the advice given above of white linen.

If you are going to wear something a little different such as a blue suit with a more colourful tie may I also suggest a silk square with a pattern possibly paisley worn in a less stiff manner. The pattern needs to have some relationship in colour to your suit and tie though need not be the same colour as either.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny

I frown on the TV fold as it lacks imagination, flair and is plain old boring.

Continue.

Darnmor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
I don't know much, but try not to match your PS to your tie or shirt or suit.

Is this true? I have a few tie and square sets. Should I have split them?

axe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
I'd avoid a matchy-matchy combo. I find it makes one look like a photo from a tux rental catalogue.

YMMV, though.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
Yes, you should. Nothing stopping you wearing them separately but don't wear the matching pair together.
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I frown on the TV fold as it lacks imagination, flair and is plain old boring. Continue.
You could say the same about white shirts. The TV fold is a classic in it's simplicity, if nobody wore a single item that could be considered boring then everyone would be dressed in ridiculous costume. You can always show your imagination through other items or combinations.

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
A pocket square is not something you should just buy without considering what you are going to wear it with. In many ways a pocket square is the most difficult item to choose for your wardrobe.

how2buypocketsquare

+1. This article had a very large impact on how I think about and wear pocket squares. Worth the read.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barbarawengere