• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much is this HP 8710P laptop worth, do you think.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been considering a new laptop and I saw this ad on craigslist:

HP 8710p Laptop 17" Brightview - New in box
Reply to: [email protected][/email]
Date: 2008-05-15, 9:49AM CDT

This is a brand new 8710p laptop just ordered from HP - will be delivered tomorrow. Need money so I charged a new laptop to sell. I have the receipt to show when it was ordered (5/12/08) and it should be delivered today or tomorrow.
Loaded with:
HP Compaq 8710p Notebook PC
Genuine Windows Vista
IntelÂ
00ae.png
CoreT2 Duo Processor T7500* (2.2 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
17-inch WSXGA+ BrightView display
2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (1 DIMM)
256MB video memory (512MB TurboCache) - NVIDIA
160GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
BluRay Disc DVD+/-RW drive
56K modem
10/100/1000 NIC
8-cell Lithium-Ion battery
Intel 802.11a/b/g/draft-n
Integrated Bluetooth
TPM & Fingerprint
IntelÂ
00ae.png
CentrinoÂ
00ae.png
Pro processor technology
ENERGY STARÂ
00ae.png
qualified, EPEATT Silver
3/3/0 Year WorldWide Limited Warranty

1 $2,249.00 $2,249.00

MicrosoftÂ
00ae.png
Office Basic 2007 - OEM License Kit - Notebooks Promotion

1 $109.00 $109.00

HP Docking Station with 120W Smart Adapter - Smart Buy Promotional Sku

1 $159.00 $159.00

HP Smart Solution Road Warrior Bundle

1 $279.00 $279.00

I will sell by itself or with it's acessories.
Make reasonable offer please. Prices listed above that I paid. The road warrior bundle includes leather case, extra battery, car charger etc.
Hurry before it goes to the pawn shop and you have to pay more!

I do not have a picture because it has not been delivered yet. Go to HP's website and take a look.
Don't forget - I have the receipt!!
\t

\t
I've talked with the seller once and she said that she actually paid HP about &2,850 for the laptop and all the extras and she would consider offers of 1/2 of that but no lower.

Here is a link to HPs sales site for preconfigured HP8710Ps. Apparently they range from $2549 to $1449, and hers is the RM252UA which is the high dollar model though HP said they would discount it. Note that model next to hers, the KR888UT(which has a faster processor) is $200 less list price, because it is a promotional item!

Also note that she configured it with 2 GIGS of RAM which I think is nuts, particularly since HP currently has a laptop RAM upgrade special going, where a 2 GIG RAM upgrade is $69!

So my question is this. This is a knocked out laptop, though with some strange configurations. The extras are nice, though not all are necessarily needed.

I went to Best Buy to do some research. The tech wizard salesman (a really nice kid), said that it was a great HP laptop, but even he was surprised that she had paid so much. Reading her ad though, she states that she bought it (charged it!) to sell at a reduced price for some cash.

If anyone cares to read this and give an opinion I'd appreciate it. Her inflated MSRP is about $2850. She wants at least half. I would offer her $1,000. Is that still too much? Anyone know of anything this knocked out at around $1,000?

BTW: The Best Buy salesman said that one of the reasons that it was priced so high was that it had a Blu-Ray optical drive which is very expensive, and a 7200 RPM HD (though only a 160 GIGHD). These two features are nice to have but are they really necessary and useful?

bkk

Reaction score
Not to steer you off course from your question, but my experience is that HP makes POS laptops. My wife's work laptop must be on a hard flat surface or it will overheat (and lose a hunk of her work in the process).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanaBurrell