• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much does atmosphere affect a meal for you?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I got into a discussion with my wife and some friends. At some point in our meal we realized we'd chosen this restaurant due to previous experience. We knew the atmosphere was right, and somehow the actual food was less important than where we were.

The food was good, of course... but in choosing the place we didn't even think about the food.

So how big of a factor is atmosphere, or the mood of a restaurant to you/your S/O and friends when choosing a place to eat?

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your mood really. The best ethnic food are generally hole in the wall and you do sacrifice a lot of comfort/atmosphere for quality eating. Sometimes you like it, other times you don't.

Counterpoint: One of the reasons why I can tolerate places like wingstop is atmosphere. Going there with a bunch of the guys, order a shitton of wings, throw in some drafts and just hang out. The food might give me a heartburn but it's a good time.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Agreed^^^

I've eaten B'Dubs countless times simply because it was tuesday, and thats what you(me and friends/co workers) do if you're a dude and its tuesday. (35 cent wings, dollar tall boys, 2 dollar you call its)

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the only reason I've eaten in the signature lounge in the Hancock building on the 95th floor or whatever like 4 times.

imschatz

Reaction score
Atmosphere is huge for me. Most food tastes the same to me, so I go to have fun.

I went to a "nicer", "trendier" restaraunt the other day. Cost was about $20/plate, and had a decent wine menu. But they had paper napkins, and I couldn't stop thinking I was in McDonalds.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Pretty much the only reason I've eaten in the signature lounge in the Hancock building on the 95th floor or whatever like 4 times.

Found this place to have the highest concentration of d-bags on planet earth. Being surrounded by d-bags and d-bagettes (neo french?) is certainly minus points on the 'atmosphere' ranking.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Atmosphere is huge for me. Most food tastes the same to me, so I go to have fun.
confused.gif

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically don't care too much about atmosphere, but when it detracts, it really makes the meal bad. One example of this is Degustation in the east village. The food is very good, but the atmosphere sucks. I would never go back

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
9 out of 10 times, it is 100% food. I have eaten in some places that really weren't very nice. then, every now and again I'll eat someplace where the food isn't that great, but the atmosphere is fantastic. I very seldom eat someplace where the food is horrible (I have drinks at the handcock, never eaten their).

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
confused.gif

I have really weak taste buds, and no palet for well prepared food. I really don't enjoy food, but the process of eating is enjoyable. I think I'm getting better, as I've finally started cooking for myself. Previously .. the food I cooked for myself, was cheeseburgers, Kraft Dinner, and the like. I'm now starting to actually go grocery shopping, and preparing food myself, which has started giving me a greater appreciation for food.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
The food was good, of course... but in choosing the place we didn't even think about the food.

So how big of a factor is atmosphere, or the mood of a restaurant to you/your S/O and friends when choosing a place to eat?

interesting.

my first thought goes to the food. certainly i try to combine the factors, but i give the food a shot first.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very few places have great atmosphere, IMO. I'd much rather have the hole in the wall that's honest and has great food than I would the trendy place with designer fittings and average food.

That said, the top end that gets both right can be really special.

I'll give you two examples from restaurants in the 2nd tier in Chicago:

Blackbird: I'll never eat at Blackbird again. **** food, **** atmosphere, **** wine pairings, **** service. A colossal and pretentious joke. And our mood was great going in.

North Pond: Fantastic location and atmosphere. Great knowledgeable service and very good food. Our mood was average going in. Would go anytime and would get the quail everytime.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
IMO, it can make or break a place for me. I mean, if the food is of equal quality, are you going to a place where people you tend to dislike will be vs. a place where the owner treats you like a long lost brother and the rest of the clientele are people you find non-annoying?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Found this place to have the highest concentration of d-bags on planet earth. Being surrounded by d-bags and d-bagettes (neo french?) is certainly minus points on the 'atmosphere' ranking.

It's a tourist trap. But the view is fantastic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads