• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many pair of shoes do you currently own?

schraiber

Reaction score
I've got 11 that get any sort of wear, there are possibly some old beat up sneakers somewhere that I don't wear, but I'm not counting those

Fashion footwear:
Allen Edmonds 5th Ave
Allen Edmonds Sanford
Allen Edmonds Higgins Mill
Alden Laydon last chukkas
Common Projects Achilles Low
Parkhurst Bidwell derby

Utility footwear:
Gym sneakers
Hiking boots
Snow boots
Beater sneakers for going to concerts

I regard this as too many tbh, despite the fact that I have some loafers from Meermin in the mail. To be fair, I regard those as hopefully replacing my Sanfords which just don't work great in my wardrobe for some reason. They're simultaneously too dainty for a casual look but too casual for a more dressy look. So I'll probably try to sell or at least donate them if the loafers feel like they'll fill the hole better.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Not that many.

- ST derbies by Meermin (which I don't know what to do with as the heel stiffener has some kind of problem as it's killing my right heel, despite several wears, making them unwearable).
- 2 pairs of Chelsea boots, 1 casual (cerruti 1981) 1 dressy (yanko)
- cordovan tassel loafers, Meermin (this one seems fine)
- belgian loafers, yanko
- waterproof timberland boots, for the worst rain
- boat shoes, timberland
- café noir leather sneakers
- chuck 70s
- cheap, but surprisingly resilient desert boots from Selected Homme.

Plus 1 pair each of running shoes, gym shoes, and hiking boots.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will start with 274 pairs as of March 15 2022. Consisting of various style and brands such Allen Edmond, Berwick, Yanko, Loake, Crockett and Jones, Yuketen, Russell Moccasin, Heschung, Corno Blu, Handmacher, J FitzPatrick, Enzo Bonafe, Visvim, Brunello Cucinelli, Heinrich Dinkerlacker, Weston, Bontoni, John Lobb, Edward Green, Kiton, and many many more.

while it nice to have a pair for every occasion,
me find it better to have 30 - 40 well made classic shoes that fit 90% of all occasions.
Having many pairs gets frustrating because you don't get to wear many pairs that often.
Better to have old friends in regular circulation,
money better spent that way too.

Many man have many shoe here,
most are new to the shoe game (less than 20 years of collecting),
and all they are is a man with many shoes searching searching and searching for the meaning of it all.
A man who is mature in the shoe game moves beyond that point and gets off the endless treadmill of buying,
that point is a happy point because he has moved through the cycles and finally evolves into the man he wants to be,
he has reached his end point where he knows who he is,
and he feels at ease to enjoy what he has.

smartie-pants

Reaction score
I’ve got a small collection but have worn the life out of my Crocs since the pandemic started.

Attachments

• 49C4A3F5-21AA-4200-AC4F-74CB7BC651A2.jpeg
    49C4A3F5-21AA-4200-AC4F-74CB7BC651A2.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 01ED4C4F-F68E-4F59-901C-D35BEA738BC0.jpeg
    01ED4C4F-F68E-4F59-901C-D35BEA738BC0.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 189
  • A8892078-F1D8-4DCD-9DD7-9EEE4C264C4C.jpeg
    A8892078-F1D8-4DCD-9DD7-9EEE4C264C4C.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 049624EF-742D-4D1A-B19A-085BFC6F9157.jpeg
    049624EF-742D-4D1A-B19A-085BFC6F9157.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 185

Craig Shoemaker

Reaction score
I have 40 pairs in my collection. Plus, another 14 shoes and boots that are for work or some other activity. I remember when I first started to collect shoes, I thought four or five pairs was going to be more then I will ever need. Five years later.... It is an addiction. Always looking for my next fix. Do I need help or just a good deal on my next pair?

Spex

Reaction score
So... many... questions...

But the one I’m really curious about, to those with large (you decide what that means) shoe collections, is how often do you buy a new pair of shoes, and have you ever bought multiple pairs at once?

Monsieur de Givenchy

Reaction score
Here is my current collection in the order I bought them:

1) Crockett & Jones split toe tan – they don't make those any more. They really pinched my pinky toe badly. But I wore them forever because they were so well made and I liked the look. Great leather. Impeccable quality. But too narrow in the front for me. Uncomfortable.

2) and 3) Ed Meier Germany – a full brogue black Oxford and a black cap toe because someone said this company had used an x-ray device to develop their lasts. Seems to have worked. Very comfortable and long-lasting. In an ironic twist, it seems they are made by Crockett & Jones in England.

4) John Lobb Paris half brogue wingtip in burgundy. These were made on a very narrow and tight last. So, they were almost a full size too small. I thought they would stretch, but they didn't really. What helps is wearing bamboo socks. They mean the tight parts rub against your skin a lot less.

5) Bruno Magli Maiocco in brown – the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned. Fit me like a glove. In fact, with their soft baby goat (?) leather, they feel like a pair of gloves. Recently had them resoled for 200 dollars, which was actually more than I paid for the shoes. And I feel they've lost some of their comfort and balance in the process. Had Triumph toe taps installed on them during resoling.

6) Carmina wholecut Oxfords in tan. Amazingly well made. Beautiful. Had Triumph toe taps mounted on them. For the first week, I thought I had made a mistake and that they were going to be too tight. But they stretched and are now really, really comfortable.

7) Trickers Stowe boots in dark brown. They look amazing and are made very beautifully. But they really pinch my pinky toes badly. Apparently, the company can stretch them out for you. I wonder if that works. Dainite sole.

8) Herring Tregony boots in tobacco brown – they have a shearling fur lining and are very comfortable. Dainite sole, too. Wonderful boots.

9) To Boot New York penny loafers. Well made, but very uncomfortable and rigid for me. Very low on the instep. Also, not loving the rubber sole. In fact, with all three of my rubber sole shoes 7) 8) and 9), I feel like my feet are more exhausted at the end of a day. Leather soles just feel more grounded and healthier and easier on the feet.

10) Cobbler Union - black whole cuts. I read many good things about this brand. And they really have good service and a lot of panache. BUT these shoes just don't look good. It's like they couldn't decide whether to go for the elongated toe of Italian shoes, or the width and comfort of American shoes, so they went for both, and the result is a little clown-ish: a broad middle of the foot and a couple of inches of very sudden empty narrowing to the front. The quality and finish are excellent, and I had Triumph toe taps installed on them, so I'll probably have them for a loong time. I wish I had spent a little more on something a touch more elegant.

Marshy

Reaction score
As a medical student with student loans, I don't have much of a disposable income at the moment 😅. Have a slowly growing collection nonetheless that I hope will reach around 25-30 shoes at some point in my adult life. Although this will be hard as I wear a Brannock 15B so I have rather large feet. But for the moment I have 6 pairs of rather casual shoes and 8 other pairs (the "real" collection). Next addition is dark brown leather loafers when winter rolls back around. And of course I need a pair of black cap toe oxfords when I finally have some money to enjoy suits more haha.

- Sneakers for working out
- Light blue canvas sneakers
- Gray canvas sneakers
- Heavy duty work boots
- LL Bean duck boots
- Slippers

- Tan Sperry boat shoes
- Cognac penny loafers
- Light brown suede penny loafers
- Dark brown suede chukkas
- Cognac wingtip derbies
- AE dark chili quarter brogue derbies
- Shoepassion dark brown cap toe oxfords
- Black patent leather shoes

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have way too many shoes/boots (though the size is modest by this thread's standards). What I find more surprising than some of the numbers being thrown around is that I have read through 3 pages of posts and have not noticed that Alden was mentioned in any of the brands owned. Not a criticism, just really surprising.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will start with 274 pairs as of March 15 2022. Consisting of various style and brands such Allen Edmond, Berwick, Yanko, Loake, Crockett and Jones, Yuketen, Russell Moccasin, Heschung, Corno Blu, Handmacher, J FitzPatrick, Enzo Bonafe, Visvim, Brunello Cucinelli, Heinrich Dinkerlacker, Weston, Bontoni, John Lobb, Edward Green, Kiton, and many many more.
I laughed out loud at the, “many many more, line :lol:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that point is a happy point because he has moved through the cycles and finally evolves into the man he wants to be,
he has reached his end point where he knows who he is,
and he feels at ease to enjoy what he has.
lol, self project much? :lol:
D36C37D2-0660-48D5-A817-B962E9344636.gif

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
40 pair: Alden, Crockett & Jones (for Brooks Brothers), Alfred Sargent, Trickers, Church’s and Allen Edmunds.

ridgerider

Reaction score
Wow, I thought I had too many! 26 pairs, no Alden’s but I am looking to add a one pair. Mostly vintage and some new AE’s, vintage Florsheims, C&J and three bespoke from a cobbler in Tuscany.

OHMayer

Reaction score
I’m at 70 and have been upgrading/rotating out pairs as my taste and interest have changed. It’s a collection and if I were being practical and just having what I “need” I’d have stopped at around 12. However, there is always someone who may enjoy what you don’t anymore, so I enjoy selling or giving away what I am no longer interested in or what doesn’t fit. I enjoy my collection As I’m sure you all do too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads