• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how long does it take you to iron a shirt?

elliottw

Reaction score
i'm thinking about ironing my own shirts to save a bit of money, but it takes me at least 15 minutes per shirt. if i could get that down to 5 a shirt, i think i might go for it. if you can iron a shirt in less than five, please tell me your method, tools, etc.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trick is either (1) get better equipment or (2) give up after a certain point of minimal future improvement. I find that shirts I iron for 15 minutes are barely better than those I run through quickly.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
< 3 minutes per shirt.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
I can iron each in about five minutes or less. I think there's good videos on this like here: http://www.howcast.com/videos/2014-H...-a-Dress-Shirt I found the biggest thing is having them damp first, so I do mine after they hang from the wash for a bit. Then I iron in this order: 1)Collar, 2) front panel, one then the other 3) the back 4) the sleeves That's pretty brief, but hopefully the video will help you more.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Sartorial

I can iron each in about five minutes or less. I think there's good videos on this like here: http://www.howcast.com/videos/2014-H...-a-Dress-Shirt

I found the biggest thing is having them damp first, so I do mine after they hang from the wash for a bit. Then I iron in this order: 1)Collar, 2) front panel, one then the other 3) the back 4) the sleeves That's pretty brief, but hopefully the video will help you more.

+1

Ditto. That's my same procedure (in the same order, too) and I can iron each shirt in about five minutes. Always remember that the collar must be damp (if not, spray it damp) before ironing to prevent the fusing from coming apart from inside the collar, and to prevent collar shrinkage.

wysiwyg

Reaction score
I model my pattern after this kickass video.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Except I iron the front and back panels separately.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I can iron a shirt is 5 minutes or so. If I'm wide awake in the morning, probably do it in 3 minutes. But, for $1.40 per shirt and same day/one day turnaround at my local drycleaners, I still bring them in.

Mr. Sartorial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
I can iron a shirt is 5 minutes or so. If I'm wide awake in the morning, probably do it in 3 minutes. But, for $1.40 per shirt and same day/one day turnaround at my local drycleaners, I still bring them in.

I gotta second this. I almost always bring them in too usually, just not as much lately. I get them hand pressed so they don't crack my buttons.

Valproate

Reaction score
8 to 10 minutes a shirt, if it is still slightly damp from laundering. If I have to use my spray bottle, it takes 15 minutes. I use a Kabbaz method with some shortcuts.

I could take my shirts to the cleaners, but with the extra time to get there and to get back and my previous results of getting my buttons crushed, I've decided to iron all my own shirts.

Frodo

Reaction score
It depends on what you start with. You will soon learn you had BETTER get that shirt out of the drier the very second it stops and put it on a hanger. I wash all my shirts in one load and dry them to a damp temperature, pull them out damp, and hang them right away. I hang them on wooden hangers. I "pull flatten" the front placket and the sleeves to pull most of the wrinkles out. Hanging this way, I've worn shirts unironed for casual things and they looked perfectly fine.

For ironing a shirt prepared like this, it takes me maybe 2 minutes. Collar first, then sleeves, then back, then fronts.

It's going to be wrinkled by the time i get anywhere further than the front door. Don't obsess. The collar and fronts are what really matter.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in a hurry just do the collar, cuffs and front. 5 minutes after you put it on everything else gets wrinkled anyway. To completely iron a shirt properly takes me 15 minutes per shirt. Ironed to perfection. Now it's time for one of these...
stirpot.gif
With respect, I don't believe anyone who claims to be able to do it any faster because either they have some super iron, or they are doing it half-assed and have convinced themselves they are doing it right. The only way I will ever believe any SF member can do it faster is by posting their own YouTube video and not posting that asian guy with the giant table that no one else owns. He missed the collar too
wink.gif

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
To completely iron a shirt properly takes me 15 minutes per shirt. Ironed to perfection.
Now it's time for one of these...
stirpot.gif

With respect, I don't believe anyone who claims to be able to do it any faster because either they have some super iron, or they are doing it half-assed and have convinced themselves they are doing it right. The only way I will ever believe any SF member can do it faster is by posting their own YouTube video and not posting that asian guy with the giant table that no one else owns.
He missed the collar too
wink.gif

+1

trogdor

Reaction score
5-10 minutes per shirt. I store them folded, so I iron them before wearing, rather than after washing.

Here's the trick: I don't bother doing the back, because I never take my jacket off. Of course, by that logic, I shouldn't bother doing the sleeves either, but whatever -- I like a bit of luxury.

Here's the running order: Yoke. Left cuff. Left sleeve. Right cuff. Right sleeve. Collar. Left front. Right front. Pwned.

If you pick out your five shirts for the week, I'm sure you can find an hour-long TV show on a Sunday night to watch whilst doing it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
10 seconds...Enough to ask my wife to iron it for me...

Before getting some angry Renaissance men replying to that statement,I will point out the fact I was only joking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads