• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does an SA afford to wear expensive retail clothes?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are Tom Brady and Brad Pitt secret TF salesmen? This whole acting and football player shtick is a ruse to buy more TF suits?

In all seriousness, if someone has that much money and they don't know how to dress isn't saying Tom Brady and Brad Pitt wear this sh!t enough to get someone into one of their suits?

Lots of celebrities have endorsement deals with clothing makers and even if not, have relationships with stylists that have long-standing arrangements with certain brands. I've no idea if Brady/Pitt fall into that category, but I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if they were. Not so secret salesmen (brand reinforcers), perhaps... ;)

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lots of celebrities have endorsement deals with clothing makers and even if not, have relationships with stylists that have long-standing arrangements with certain brands. I've no idea if Brady/Pitt fall into that category, but I wouldn't raise an eyebrow if they were. Not so secret salesmen (brand reinforcers), perhaps... ;)
Yup, when i was in there the other week one of the guys from the next season of the Bachellorette was in there, the show gave them 50k to buy their wardrobe. He was already a customer before hand so he just spent that at the store. Im not sure if brady/pitt have a deal with TF but i do know that alot of celebs shop their for their personal wardrobe. If i remember correctly Brioni never paid the james bond franchise they just provided the suits, and i think the switch to TF was per daniel craigs request

jamesny

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Don't celebrities hire stylists? And those stylists are actually the ones getting the wardrobes for the celebrities to wear? In any case, I'm sure designers give their employees perks or freebies as well.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, i mocked up a 99% off version just for fun :bounce2:

This must have been the SA discount on that day... :eek:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They get it all for free. You wouldn't believe the amount of things which just show up at these people's agents where the people who have sent them are hoping it might get worn / used in the public view.

lroberts208

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
These personalities are already rich, on top of that they also get free clothes? Imagine wearing all those free suits everyday..

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic - Significant employee discounts, clothing allowance or whatever = a very nice wardrobe.

A couple of SA's that i have dealt with for quite a few years, must be making a chunk of change. Both wear Black and Purple Label, vacation in Europe once a year (both are serious Foodie's) have a couple of nice watches a piece (no doubt the Richemont affiliation) and I can only assume are pulling some serious coin.

As someone mentioned earlier, it is also about relationships and networking (think Beverly Hills, DC etc). These guys know how to hustle - and know who to push the MTM program to etc. While few and far between, there is a demo out there that are willing to drop $60 or $70K in an afternoon, on a few Suits and a Croc bag for the missus....

It never ceases to amaze me though - just how dumb some of these guys are. IMHO these guys should know the provenance of each product they sell. Who produced the Suit, who made the shoes etc. If I am in a restaurant dropping $100 on a Truffle Pasta, the waiter would typically know where they are from. I like shooting the **** with my SA's on this stuff (even if I do only buy the last week of the Sale)...

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't celebrities hire stylists? And those stylists are actually the ones getting the wardrobes for the celebrities to wear? In any case, I'm sure designers give their employees perks or freebies as well.
Sorry, i mocked up a 99% off version just for fun :bounce2: This must have been the SA discount on that day... :eek:
lol how in the world did you do that? sorry im like computer illiterate

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

As someone mentioned earlier, it is also about relationships and networking (think Beverly Hills, DC etc). These guys know how to hustle - and know who to push the MTM program to etc. While few and far between, there is a demo out there that are willing to drop $60 or $70K in an afternoon, on a few Suits and a Croc bag for the missus....

It never ceases to amaze me though - just how dumb some of these guys are. IMHO these guys should know the provenance of each product they sell. Who produced the Suit, who made the shoes etc. If I am in a restaurant dropping $100 on a Truffle Pasta, the waiter would typically know where they are from. I like shooting the **** with my SA's on this stuff (even if I do only buy the last week of the Sale)...

While I agree they should at least know where things are from, you also must remember that the vast majority of people you mentioned above (the casual $50k+ big tymers) don't know or care about the production and processes we obsess over on SF. Most of the dudes that have the money to spend that much don't have the time, let alone the care, to learn about how and where items are made. This is where the SA really makes the difference. Convincing these people that something looks good, fits well, is cool, is necessary, etc is what being a SA is all about. This is the reason so many people, even those that consider themselves "fashionable" or "stylish," still have personal stylists.

As tragic as it might be I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of those willing to spend that much are doing so not because of quality, tradition or style. Instead they are trying to one-up their friends or enabling themselves to brag about how nice something is because of how much it costs.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am physically ill. I retract my "I call bullshit" statement. Sorry dude.

But I want to ******* punch something for not getting clued into this before.

At least I know what corner I am loitering at the last week of February this year.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At least I know what corner I am loitering at the last week of February this year.

No worries man, i wouldnt have believed me either lol. You wanna punch something? imagine how i feel, getting to go to this only 1 time! Last week i spent almost double that amount at TF on a single sweater!

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im there if you need a lookout :satisfied: im gonna pull a jerry seinfeld and grab any old bag walking out of tf

Quarks

Reaction score
I absolutely cannot believe the 90% discount. I wonder what kind of damage would that do to regular customers who pay full price. I would call it 'bullshit' as well but now I am trying to come to terms having seen the receipt.
Wouldn't you reckon that they are selling at a loss at that price? Just pissed that I paid full price for the bags now.... grrrrrrrrrrr.......
No wonder the spread of items over ebay. Jeez, I would be a kid in a candy store & would spend loads if I were there.
Too bad I'm at the wrong side of the globe.

That is the first I have seen with 'Made in China' TF suit. Even the milanese buttonhole is made in China? or 80% made in China?
Amazing stuff. Speechless. Tom Ford has spoken before about China, almost seemingly hinting that some (or most) of his items are made in China.
You never know these days, these secrets are heavily guarded... or so it seems.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics