• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does an SA afford to wear expensive retail clothes?

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no matter what i still get credit for best deal on a tf suit ever! :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
$140 for nwt 3 piece!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no matter what i still get credit for best deal on a tf suit ever! :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
$140 for nwt 3 piece!

pretty sure Jeff won...

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

duh, im trying to make myself feel better :embar:

I don't want anyone to feel better....

best deal I ever got was a RL Rugby suit for $200, and one time on RL.com i had 40% off stacked with 25% off and another stack of 15% off on sale items & regular items.. (roughly 62% off) - but I was too poor to buy anything extremely worth it (however I did get some good stuff nonetheless)...On the upside.. its a good thing I don't have a credit card.. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself...

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

duh, im trying to make myself feel better :embar:

I don't want anyone to feel better....
best deal I ever got was a RL Rugby suit for $200, and one time on RL.com i had 40% off stacked with 25% off and another stack of 15% off on sale items & regular items.. (roughly 62% off) - but I was too poor to buy anything extremely worth it (however I did get some good stuff nonetheless)...On the upside.. its a good thing I don't have a credit card.. I wouldn't have been able to stop myself...

There are no moral victories here..........:nodding:

aj555

Reaction score
What annoys me is when some, not all SAs act like they are rich snobs just because of the (discounted/free) clothes they wear. I live in Florida and there has been a few times I've been dressed for going to the beach in shorts and flip flops, and ended up stopping at a few stores (won't say names) on the way back. The SAs were really rude to me, and treated me like crap because they thought they were superior just simply because how I was dressed. Yeah guy, I probably make 4 times more than you, and I know everything you're wearing was purchased on discount. Like I said, it's not all of them just some. I don't wear suits to the beach when it's 90 degrees out, and I am not going to go all the way home to change just to make the SA happy.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What annoys me is when some, not all SAs act like they are rich snobs just because of the (discounted/free) clothes they wear. I live in Florida and there has been a few times I've been dressed for going to the beach in shorts and flip flops, and ended up stopping at a few stores (won't say names) on the way back. The SAs were really rude to me, and treated me like crap because they thought they were superior just simply because how I was dressed. Yeah guy, I probably make 4 times more than you, and I know everything you're wearing was purchased on discount. Like I said, it's not all of them just some. I don't wear suits to the beach when it's 90 degrees out, and I am not going to go all the way home to change just to make the SA happy. 

I think you are at fault here. coming straight from the beach trying fine clothes on? Go home and have a shower first.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at TF the wages and commission are high. Your talking about arguably the premier luxury retail stores in the world so that makes sense. If you work at Loro Piana, Hermes, chanel or TF your probably making as much as say a Doctor.

That being said though "uniforms" or clothing discounts often aren't all that great at say second tier luxury stores especially given wages. I remember in about 2001 I started working full time on a salary of 10,000 pounds even at discount to buy shoes a suit a couple of shirts and ties I had to spend 1k which is ridiculous. When I was an area manager at Prada about 7 years ago I got three shirts and a suit every 6 months and a pair of shoes every year and I couldn't wear anything else even if I bought it. Generally if you work in a luxury store you either sacrifice a lot of your wages on clothes or you sort of look like **** i(f people actually look closely at you or your shoes). Iv'e always been a bit of a Mod and really into clothes so I always spend a big portion of my income on them and still do.

emc894

Reaction score

Well at TF the wages and commission are high. Your talking about arguably the premier luxury retail stores in the world so that makes sense. If you work at Loro Piana, Hermes, chanel or TF your probably making as much as say a Doctor.
That being said though "uniforms" or clothing discounts often aren't all that great at say second tier luxury stores especially given wages. I remember in about 2001 I started working full time on a salary of 10,000 pounds even at discount to buy shoes a suit a couple of shirts and ties I had to spend 1k which is ridiculous. When I was an area manager at Prada about 7 years ago I got three shirts and a suit every 6 months and a pair of shoes every year and I couldn't wear anything else even if I bought it. Generally if you work in a luxury store you either sacrifice a lot of your wages on clothes or you sort of look like **** i(f people actually look closely at you or your shoes). Iv'e always been a bit of a Mod and really into clothes so I always spend a big portion of my income on them and still do.

Wow, thats amazing. I would be kicking myself if I went to medical school and shopped at TF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads