• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Do You Store Your Knitwear

Camerashy

Reaction score
I normally fold my jumpers in half, length ways, as I think this will give the minimum amount of creases.....just one down the middle which tends to get removed as I’m wearing it.
Another way would be as a new shirt is presented this creates more storage space in draws but more creases, some shops sell their knitwear off hangers which I think would stretch the shoulders and body of the jumper.
How do you store yours.

Panama

Reaction score
I just fold mine down the middle and then over in half. All of my knitwear is stored in 120 gallon plastic tubs with a lid. The items will be in zipper bags. When they are in season I use a different tub in another room generally without the zipper bag. I have lost so many items to moths that I am now super careful if not paranoid.

OTDR

Reaction score
I just fold mine down the middle and then over in half. All of my knitwear is stored in 120 gallon plastic tubs with a lid. The items will be in zipper bags. When they are in season I use a different tub in another room generally without the zipper bag. I have lost so many items to moths that I am now super careful if not paranoid.
Can I ask where you sourced such an enormous plastic tub?
The closest Walmart Supercenter to my home in Maynardville, TN is in Knoxville about 20 minutes away and the largest they have is 50 Gal.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Panama

Reaction score
Can I ask where you sourced such an enormous plastic tub?
The closest Walmart Supercenter to my home in Maynardville, TN is in Knoxville about 20 minutes away and the largest they have is 50 Gal.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sorry, I misinformed you. I bought 12 110 litre storage boxes. This is 29 US gallons. A 50 gallon storage box must be massive.

1097626_PI_V08.jpg

You can see the lid in my knitwear photos...

OTDR

Reaction score
Sorry, I misinformed you. I bought 12 110 litre storage boxes. This is 29 US gallons. A 50 gallon storage box must be massive.

View attachment 1585741

You can see the lid in my knitwear photos...
That simply will not do.
I have my mind set on a 150 gallon tub big enough to bathe in after you so carelessly conjured up such an idea.
My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
The winters get down to -40 where I live, which is the magic number at which Celsius and Fahrenheit meet, so the moment the sun returns I go to the closest pine forest, heap all my knitwear in a rough pile and set fire to it in a pagan ritual intended to banish the cold from our realm for another year.

I then shrug my navy hopsack sport coat over my shoulders and repeat an incantation over and over, its meaning lost to posterity. It begins “Look!”, and then I pull open the front quarters to expose the material. “Thou canst see glorious daylight through it. This garment provideth no warmth at all, nor is warmth required. Praise be the sun god!”

Then it starts to snow, because the weather here is an absolute bastard.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine stores his sweaters in a cedar chest at the foot of his bed. Graham Woodworking sells them for about $500 if you have the money to spend.

Long ago, I interviewed a woman who works as a professional textile conservationist. She works with museums and historical societies. I asked her for tips on how to preserve garments and keep them free from moth holes. We had a long discussion, but on the issue of cedar, she recommended that cedar blocks not be put directly against a garment, as oils can transfer. I don't know if this makes cedar chests a bad idea -- perhaps you can line them -- but they do look nice.

My own practice is fairly simple and probably like everyone else on this board. I fold sweaters and stick them into a dresser drawer. I agree that knitwear should not be hung; doing so will stretch out the shoulders.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
This year I bought both cedar blocks and little cloth bags of cedar chips. Not only are the chips more convenient to toss in a drawer or scatter on the floor of a wardrobe, and not only is there a much lower risk of oil transfer, but I find they have a slightly stronger smell than the blocks, which is nice as cedar smells incredible.

Clarification: I scatter the bags themselves rather than empty the chips onto the floor of a wardrobe. That seems messy.

Last edited:

willyto

Reaction score
I know some people who store the knitwear in the freezer all year.

I just fold them so they take the same space and pile them up in a shelf on a closet. Have some lavender and cedar around the shelves though.

Never had a problem so far where I live (Cross fingers)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine stores his sweaters in a cedar chest at the foot of his bed. Graham Woodworking sells them for about $500 if you have the money to spend.

Long ago, I interviewed a woman who works as a professional textile conservationist. She works with museums and historical societies. I asked her for tips on how to preserve garments and keep them free from moth holes. We had a long discussion, but on the issue of cedar, she recommended that cedar blocks not be put directly against a garment, as oils can transfer. I don't know if this makes cedar chests a bad idea -- perhaps you can line them -- but they do look nice.

My own practice is fairly simple and probably like everyone else on this board. I fold sweaters and stick them into a dresser drawer. I agree that knitwear should not be hung; doing so will stretch out the shoulders.
I have a few of these from Kirby https://www.kirbyallison.com/sweater-hangers.html, they seem to work fine.

Norwester

Reaction score
For long term storage I fold them into quarters and seal them in Ziploc Space Bag clothing bags (suitcase size). I leave enough air in the bags so they don't compress. The bags emit little to no odor (an important criteria for me). I have some Hefty brand storage tubs that I briefly used but even after many years they emit a noticeable odor (I think due to whatever additive keeps the plastic pliable). In sweater season I again fold them in quarters but store in muslin bags, principally to keep dust off, but it should also help keep the moths away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads