• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like your steak?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I define someone with a good palate as being adventurous to try anything and everything, and then judge whether they like something or not. Most Americans, I feel, have preconceived ideas of what something will taste like, either because they have never tried it, or when they did have it, it wasn't prepared properly; I use Brussels sprouts as a salient example.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Can somebody define what we mean by a good or bad palate?

I've usually understood it as those who can easily pick up on the nusances in the composition of a dish. Maybe I'm thinking of 'sharp' palate or something. In my uneducated mind, I tend to expand on that to include those with discerning taste and an understanding and appreciation of great food or ingredients.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
please expand on brussels sprouts. i have very fond memories

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
I just call this adventurous.
+1. What the **** does trying new foods have to do with being able to discern whether that food is quality?

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
please expand on brussels sprouts. i have very fond memories
Well, I do know that most people are adverse to them, as was my mother. But only because when she had them in the past, they weren't prepared in a very appetizing way. I got her hooked on them after making some with wild mushrooms and a cream sauce last Fall. I think more people would eat more things if they knew how to cook them right.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
has anyone else noticed it's increasingly hard to get a steak cooked medium rare properly these days? there's an absurdly popular hipster steakhouse in arlington, va that couldn't manage this simple task despite it being their specialty.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any steak that is cooked over rare tends to upset my stomach to where I get cramps and ultimately the squirts later on.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
has anyone else noticed it's increasingly hard to get a steak cooked medium rare properly these days? there's an absurdly popular hipster steakhouse in arlington, va that couldn't manage this simple task despite it being their specialty.

Ray's? I don't remember the last time a steakhouse messed up a medium rare, though I have never been to Ray's. How did they mess it up?

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
too rare, then too well if i remember correctly. they actually have a disclaimer saying "oh btw we don't know how to cook steaks" or some such equivalent. i mean if it's what you do, figure out how to ********** it

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Growing up my mother was so afraid of food borne illness she insisted I ate all steak Well-Done leaning towards Charcoal.

I like dull pink. I always order them that way because Medium seems to be BRIGHT red, and Medium Well is always too grey.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scientific
too rare, then too well if i remember correctly. they actually have a disclaimer saying "oh btw we don't know how to cook steaks" or some such equivalent. i mean if it's what you do, figure out how to ********** it

Weird, I ate there last weekend and had my steak medium rare and it was perfect. My wife's medium well :)-/) was overcooked, though.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwiteaboy
Weird, I ate there last weekend and had my steak medium rare and it was perfect. My wife's medium well :)-/) was overcooked, though.

That's b/c anytime someone orders medium well the cook automatically assumes that the person doesn't give a **** and they cook it to hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads