• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep up the look of your black shoes

SC Widders

Reaction score
How is it going guys.

I recently purchased a pair of black Kenneth Cole shoes which I'm wearing to prom. I've noticed that black dress shoes usually form creases after being worn and even with shoe tree's, small creases remain. What else can be done to prevent early wear?

Also, what methods do you all use to keep your black dress shoes looking new over time? (after wear polishing, shoe tree's, etc)

Closer

Reaction score
trees. occasional leather conditioner, good basic wax polish every 3-5 wearings, just brush with horsehair brush after each wearing between polishings.

When a shoe is made with a real substandard leather, it is going to crease badly, even if you do all of this.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SC Widders
How is it going guys.

I recently purchased a pair of black Kenneth Cole shoes...

facepalm.gif

and I thought the purpose of SF was to educate!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spend an extra $100+ and get better quality shoes.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on purchasing a pair of Kenneth Cole. I'm sure you will enjoy wearing it for one month.

randob300

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the leather of these shoes is so poor, it's going to crease with minimal wear. It's also probably coated with a shellac of chemicals to make it look even and shiney.

Not much you can do besides removing the dirt. I wouldn't worry much about polishing, as it will only exaggerate the creasing. Wear them until you don't like the looks anymore, and then look into saving up for a higher quality pair of shoes come interview time.

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife's reaction right after reading this: "Come on, the poor guy got the shoes for prom, he's a highschool student, cut him some slack and stop bashing his choice, you guys are such assholes"

Blackat

Reaction score
I commend you for taking an interest in maintaining your shoes. Yes, there are better shoes than Kenneth Cole, but that's not the point. Reasonable care will make them hold up better than if you just trashed them. You're on the right path, so ignore the flak.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
My wife's reaction right after reading this: "Come on, the poor guy got the shoes for prom, he's a highschool student, cut him some slack and stop bashing his choice, you guys are such assholes"

Your wife is obviously unfamiliar with the ways of SF.
laugh.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SC Widders
How is it going guys.
I recently purchased a pair of black Kenneth Cole shoes which I'm wearing to prom. I've noticed that black dress shoes usually form creases after being worn and even with shoe tree's, small creases remain. What else can be done to prevent early wear?
Also, what methods do you all use to keep your black dress shoes looking new over time? (after wear polishing, shoe tree's, etc)

Your shoes are made of calfskin. There will be a normal and acceptable amount of creasing that will occur with normal wear so don't be concerned about that.
To minimize creasing try the following-
-Use your shoe trees after each wearing
-allow the shoes to thoroughly dry at least 24 hours between wearings.
In other words, rotate your shoes.
-Try to avoid crouching or squatting or any other movement that will overly stress the leather.
We often don't think about this, but dress shoes are not sneakers so bear that in mind that dress shoes are not activewear. Observe how your shoes react to walking.
-Treat your shoes with a leather conditioner about once per month.
-Should you expose the shoes to water (rain) let them dry out with the shoe trees for 2 days.
-Avoid 'toe tapping'. Don't put your weight on the toe of your shoe while standing still.

If you are really bothered by creasing, albeit small, consider in the future saving for a pair of shoes made of 'shell cordovan'. These are made from a membrane of a horse.
Shell cordovan is signifigantly more expensive than calfskin, but will not 'crease'.
Over time they will develop 'bumps' instead of creases.
To re-iterate however, don't be worried about small creasing on your shoes.
It inevitably happens to us all and again, is completely acceptable.
It is part of the nature of leather.
The most important thing is that you keep them conditioned, cleaned and occasionaly polished.
Someone mentioned wax polish.
There are also cream polishes that are just as good so consider that as an option.
Apply all and any polish sparingly. Polish will not remove creasing; nothing will.
The goal is to minimize it.
Welcome to Styleforum and best wishes.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love how a poast about KC shoes elicits this reply. Well done sir, and pretty much /thread. By the way - Even though he did not say anything, or probably knows nothing about shell cordovan, it still made an appearance. God bless SF.
lol8[1].gif

Anticitizen

Reaction score
Glad to see some Kenneth Cole hate here. Everything I've owned by Kenneth Cole fell apart within a month or so. Had a sole detach from a shoe within a week of purchase, shirts came unraveled... a friend had a new KC wristwatch fill with water after a trip to a shallow swimming pool. I avoid the brand like the plague now.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix

But we've got to feel holier than someone, right? If not thou, then whom?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads