• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you buy ties?

shakattk

Reaction score
I like 3.25" too on average. I buy on sale only and buy top shelf ties. I try to match with my suits, coats and shirts and think in terms of summer and winter. Need more winter stuff now.

BamaHater

Reaction score
I only buy my ties on sale or clearance. I scour places like Off Saks, Last Call, Marshalls , and Nordstroms Rack for high end ties. I think most I have paid is $55 for a RLPL. Mostly I buy a tie if I like the colors or design. I rarely ever buy a tie to match a specific shirt. If I like it, i'll buy it.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like 3.25" too on average. I buy on sale only and buy top shelf ties. I try to match with my suits, coats and shirts and think in terms of summer and winter. Need more winter stuff now.

Ha you have Winter this past week its been between -8c to -5c overnight getting a bit sick of it to be honest roll on Spring.

And your right about buying top shelf on sale pity they don't do it with good single malts.:D

shakattk

Reaction score
Yes, tough to find liquor clearance sales!

Maybe I should check southern hemisphere clearance sales now for winter selections. :)

Costanza

Reaction score
Anyone have a reference for matching tie construction to knot type? I discovered the Pratt knot on the weekend- symmetrical but uses less tie length than most (I'm tall)- and figure it could use one of those ties with a core that firms it up a bit as the tie has to span a gap in the knot without collapsing. I have some other ancient Zegna ties that seem all silk without any backing or core in it. They are quite soft and supple and the wrong thing for this knot. What's the best type for a (full) Windsor?

Last edited:

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Costanza,

Your question is interesting.

First, most tie constructions will work with most knots with some exceptions.

As an example a grenadine weave is a loose one which will naturally create a full knot so we don't suggest Windsor knots with grenadines.

A lighter tie in general will balance with a Windsor knot. If you want a smaller or larger knot you would adjust the width of the tie in the knot area.

Adjusting the interlining is also a possibility but not the best answer.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I buy them impulsively. If I like it, I buy it. IMO when it comes to ties, that's what really matters. I personally think that a 120 - 140 € is the maximum amount I'd be willing to pay.

You can find some brands you know they make nice stuff that worth the money you pay for it (Marinella, Battisti, Drakes, etc.)

Same here. However, I use two main filters:

1. Width - No narrower than 3.75 inches (9.52 cm) Makes it harder today.

2. Price

Last edited:

Bowtiedlad93

Reaction score
I go to the store mostly during a good sale, I select the tie I want head to the counter swipe my card then leave.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a relatively new tie-buyer but I've been buying at least a couple a week recently. Post-SF, I love ties so much I want to wear one every day.

I buy ties from thrift stores (here we call them 'op shops' ), eBay and from sales. I like 3.25" too, though I'll go a little skinnier and a little wider if I like the tie otherwise.

The most I've ever spent was AUD$33, and I don't think I'd ever pay more than about that. Why? Mostly because eBay is a tie goldmine, and brands like Lands' End, Brooks and Banana Republic offer exactly what I want for usually under $15 shipped.

Really, eBay is PERFECT for tie-buying: shipping is cheap; fit is not an issue; what you see is what you get; and because ties aren't that popular nowadays and last a long time, there's a massive oversupply floating around out there.

As far as colour and style go, I'm working on a collection of mostly blue, red and green, mostly stripes dots or solids, and some interesting textures like wool, linen and cotton.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to Goodwill and go through the tie racks, where there are between 60-300 ties depending on which store I go to. I get nice, simple ties from good makers, and in this way I have Brooks Brothers, Talbott (one is a 7-fold), Facconable, Lands End, Zegna, Polo Ralph Lauren and J. Crew (lol) ties and none of them cost more than $5.

Costanza

Reaction score

Oh my, that's almost a book you wrote there!

... and I read the whole thing. I toured a few men's stores in the core yesterday just as the markets closed and was surprised by two things: just how normal everything looked on the sidewalk, and that I couldn't find a SA in Brooks Brothers or in Andrew's ties who knew what grenadine was.

PS I had one SA explain to me my puzzling experiences the other day touring a couple of men's shops in the Yorkville area: the clientele are mainly drug dealers and Russian mobsters. (His friend runs one... store that is) It made complete sense to me...Maybe that would be an interesting thread in itself (pinned with a knife).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads