• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do i save up for bespoke clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

doughboysc

Reaction score
How do I save up for bespoke suit, sportjacket, blazer, trouser, shirt, and necktie? I've never owned a Savile Row bespoke suit (like Anderson and Sheppard or H. Huntsman and Sons) and bespoke shirt like Turnbull & Asser.
MeandmybuddyChrisWideman.jpg
Spencer Karter Age 18

@riss

Reaction score
honestly one of the funnier things i've read in a long time, still can't stop laughing...

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to go the custom route? You look like you have the perfect body for OTR. 38r right?

I couldn't even imagine a slim, one-button Huntsman on your fat ass, they'd probably turn you away, lol...

Pink22m

Reaction score
Why would you want to go the custom route? You look like you have the perfect body for OTR. 38r right? I couldn't even imagine a slim, one-button Huntsman on your fat ass, they'd probably turn you away, lol...
That is extremely cruel.
mad.gif

rsp1

Reaction score
umm...i think this joke is getting old. this is what, the 5th topic started with this picture?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I can't imagine him wearing Huntsman either, but well...

If you really really really want to save up for a bespoke suit, please do some more research on bespoke suits. There are questions you have to answer because the tailor needs your directions. It's very time-consuming and requires good communication. If you can't invest the time and communcation, the money won't do you any good.

Also, I can't stop laughing at the picture. We don't have many "large" people here, except for the foreigners. Whenever I see a huge American walk past with a belly big enough to swallow three of us, I can't help but wonder. I often joke about them with my fellow svelte Korean associates.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Mike:

I'm figuring you're tired of what you think is a joke, and are attempting to show your frustration.

The IP is out of Greenwood, SC, so let's assume Spencer is for real.

So enough of the nasty posts, OK?

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to go the custom route? You look like you have the perfect body for OTR. 38r right? Â I couldn't even imagine a slim, one-button Huntsman on your fat ass, they'd probably turn you away, lol...
That is extremely cruel.
mad.gif

You're right; it is extremely cruel. I would feel ashamed of myself if that was a REAL picture of the actual poster. The only thing to feel bad about is the fact that the pic of the two fat guys are two real people out there whose image is being unknowingly used on the internet. 10 bucks that pic came from www.uglypeople.com Steve or J, can you please ban this chode. I've had enough of staring at this pic everytime I open up another thread.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like Alias said, you save for it like any other major purchase.

Still, you might want to consider MTM, or buying OTR in the closest size and having a tailor alter it to fit you. If that might be an option, you could consider cruising eBay (check styleforum's recommended sellers), Yoox, Bluefly et al. But learn, learn, learn. I lurked here and other places for... a long time...reading about suits before I bought mine on ebay -- it was a straight fit, no alterations needed. Yes, it was Savile Row.

I also have a H. Huntsman for Louis Boston I picked up on consignment, and had altered to fit me beautifully.

Regards,
Huntsman

rws

Reaction score
If Spencer Karter is legitimate, I am Marie of Rumania.
Must we accord you royal honors?

I think the poster is precisely whom he earlier identified himself as:  an autistic young man from South Carolina who's interested in clothes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Spencer Karter is legitimate, I am Marie of Rumania.
Marie,
smile.gif
In the end, does it really matter to our conduct here? Personally, I couldn't risk cruelty on a hunch. Worst that can happen is getting laughed at, I suppose. I've been laughed at before. Regards, Huntsman

getwhatyoudeserve

Reaction score
Personally, I am appalled at some of the responses in this thread which is why this will be my first and last post here at the Style Forum. I can't imagine a situation where I would want to respond to a question here, given the treatment of Spencer Karter, who, even if he is a made up persona (and a Google search would indicate the possibility that this is a not joke), deserves exactly the same amount of respect any other poster here would receive.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Hello Spencer:

I would agree that you save up for bespoke suits just like you save up for a house, a car, a computer, or a ten speed bicycle.

Instead of buying lots of T-shirts and lots of shoes and slacks, watch your pennies, put them away a few every day/week. It is best if you put them in a place where you cannot see them, in a different bank account so that you "forget" you even have them.

One day, a few months or years later, when you look in that bank book, you will see that you have enough money for that house, car, computer, or Turnbull and Asser shirt or Anderson & Sheppard suit.

Bic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads