• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you find your job?

deven01

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm graduating on December 2010 and I'm looking for a job. Actually, I'm planning to look for a job.
I'm a business management major and I was wondering how you guys found your job and when.
Social networking, direct applying, agency, etc. If you guys have any advice or comment, let me know.

Cheers
smile.gif

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll hear this a lot, but I'll say it here-- direct applying will give you the worst possible results. Don't even touch job listings. Instead, talk to people through every channel you can find.

I used Linkedin to contact a dude who heads a small company in the industry I was interested in, and after a few telephone and email conversations, he offered me an (unpaid) internship. It's a modest start, but it was much more effective than the fruitless months I spent with job listings.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started my first company before I graduated. 2 years later sold it. Started another...started another...now I stay busy
biggrin.gif
I would also advise you to network...directly applying doesn't put you in the best position

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I started my first company before I graduated. 2 years later sold it. Started another...started another...now I stay busy
biggrin.gif

I would also advise you to network...directly applying doesn't put you in the best position

Can you please shut the **** up now about your life and lifestyle? You're everything that is wrong about current styleforum; a massive ball of pathetic posturing and insignificant opinions. I wish we'd meet so I could beat you up with a baseball bat and set your body on fire. Kill yourself.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Can you please shut the **** up now about your life and lifestyle? You're everything that is wrong about current styleforum; a massive ball of pathetic posturing and insignificant opinions. I wish we'd meet so I could beat you up with a baseball bat and set your body on fire. Kill yourself.
It's amusing how you perceive things said here. It says quite a bit more about you than it says about me. Question was asked and answered. Starting and running my businesses is my JOB. If you don't like it that is your problem and I'm not concerned with your problems.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It's amusing how you perceive things said here. It says quite a bit more about you than it says about me. Question was asked and answered. Starting and running my businesses is my JOB. If you don't like it that is your problem and I'm not concerned with your problems.
Can you go even 5 minutes without talking about you, your "success", your life you ******* maggot? There are ways to contribute without making it about you, it would appears you haven't tried yet... Every time I see you posting it is a declaration of status you cuntstache. At least try to mix it up.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you go even 5 minutes without talking about you, your "success", your life you ******* maggot? There are ways to contribute without making it about you, it would appears you haven't tried yet...
Interesting...how does one explain how they got their "job" if they don't talk about what they do? I'm intrigued...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wtf fuuma... A little irate this morning?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Interesting...how does one explain how they got their "job" if they don't talk about what they do? I'm intrigued...

1) He is looking for a job so it might be useful to give him networking advices even if they don't apply to your own situation

2) if you want to talk about starting your own companies you can say something like "another option might be starting your own company, here are some advice about that blablabla"

3) Contrast this with your autobiographical "look at the size of my career, look at me stroking my career, I'm keeping busy baby!!" and you'll have a hard time contradicting me. You are a ******* poseur and trash like you is fostering a climate of penis measuring contest on this board. We are very often discussing luxury which is a somewhat delicate topic and quickly veer into looking at a bunch of cocks proudly singing on their large pile of ****. If you can't manage jump off a ******* cliff or at least get the **** out of here.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) He is looking for a job so it might be useful to give him networking advices even if they don't apply to your own situation 2) if you want to talk about starting your own companies you can say something like "another option might be starting your own company, here are some advice about that blablabla" 3) Contrast this with your autobiographical "look at the size of my career, look at me stroking my career, I'm keeping busy baby!!" and you'll have a hard time contradicting me. You are a ******* poseur and trash like you is fostering a climate of penis measuring contest on this board. We are very often discussing luxury which is a somewhat delicate topic and quickly veer into looking at a bunch of cocks proudly singing on their large pile of ****. If you can't manage jump off a ******* cliff or at least get the **** out of here.
1. I commented as to a general direction of what I thought about the job searching process. If he had more detailed questions I would certainly give more detailed answers. 2. I'm not giving anyone advice about starting a company unless they ask for it. I just mentioned how I got my job. 3. You're so delightful...I take every opportunity to point out that there are other ways to make it in this world that don't involve working for other people... I didn't say I "I'm getting richer by the minute!!! WHOOO HOOO!". I said I'm staying BUSY. Had nothing to do with some glamourous lifestyle. Just because my story isn't one you like doesn't mean I won't tell it nor can I give advice outside of my own knowledge. I grew up with nothing and managed to achieve some significant things in my short time alive so save the bullshit about "posturing". I never attempted to make this thread about ME but you've certainly done a good job making it about YOU.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Depending on how well-developed your school's alumni network network is, this might be another option. Your college's career services department should also have some sort of listing website -- definitely exhaust everything there as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread is getting delicious
smile.gif

As to job finding...it sounds like this is your first, post graduation? I would just work it all. Trade journals, job fairs, networking...where ever, how ever you can get your resume in front of people. Are you willing to move? That will greatly expand your chances.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I found several places of business in which I really wanted to work, and cold-sent them resumes. Originally, I was only asking for an apprenticeship kind of program, but my current job called me in for an interview, and after nailing the interview (b/c I'm awesome) I was offered my position.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know where you are so I can't make any specific recommendations but you might also want to check with your local social/business clubs to see if they have prospective new member gatherings...you might do well to get out there and make your face/name known

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The book "Knock 'em Dead" (by Yates) has all the answers on how to get a job. *EVERYTHING* is in there, including how to answer every interview question you'll ever be asked.

Get the book and read it all.

Done.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members