• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How bad is the new Mustang?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The floppier the chassis, the stiffer the suspension has to be. Mustangs don't exactly have the stiffest chassis, especially the convertible, and it would not surprise me if the suspension had to be stiffened up considerably to get the desired handling.

--Andre

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Same here. I rent them all the time. Can tweak out the rears with reasonable reliability, get some power oversteer if there's any loose gravel on the road, yada yada yada. I did however, rent one for one leg of a trip, and had an Impala for the other. It was noticeable how much harder the Mustang rode, as well as how much louder it was. ~ H
Mustangs are my preferred rental car. I usually have one 6 months out of the year. They are noisy and loud, but look good and are fun. You can go out on a date on a business trip in your rental car, and not feel like a douchebag driving a bright red Corolla w/o keyless entry. On the other hand, they are very stiff. Also, the first time I got on a conference call while driving one I realized how damn loud they are on the inside. They are also pretty scary in the wet. The Mustang will snap oversteer when the roads are a little wet without provocation. My personal vehicle is far quicker and handles better than the Mustang but will only oversteer when I want it to and is far more comfortable and quiet. I do not understand why cars have to be made so stiff when there are cars that handle better out there that are comfortable. I suppose that is why the Mustang is so reasonably priced for what you get.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked them out at the Toronto car show.

The design is excellent. They look good. From what I've heard, they sound good, too. I have never driven one, but I imagine it handles like a pig like most US cars.

What is not in doubt is the interior, which is an absolute disgrace. I mean truly ******* awful. The GT interior is marginally better looking ****.

DMcG

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You don't say? I'd always thought that it was the luxury cars with the really stiff suspensions. Hmmm....

Seriously, as Pio points out, there are good hard suspensions and there are crappy hard suspensions. The 'stang seems to me to have a crappy hard suspension. It might get tiring after a while. The road noise was more annoying though. Still think it's a decent car overall, but those are caveats.

I should have been more clear in my earlier post. Playing around in the Mustang was fun, no lie, but 300mi on the Interstate was far more pleasant in the Impala than it was in the Mustang the day before -- the stiff suspension doesn't really help out much at 70mph and a straight line, and the noise is unnecessary.

~ H

I don't think that the Mustang suspension is that stiff. I few years ago I did a couple of ~400 mile days across Iowa and Missouri in a V-6 Mustang rental and thought it was just fine for that length of drive.

I really like the update they just did with the Mustang and hopefully in the near future they'll upgrade both the V-8 and V-6.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't be sure, but I think the hood scoop says, "cobra jet" on the side, indicating there's something much larger than a 351 under the hood.

Also, I've heard the new V8 Mustang revs loud enough to blow a high-school girl's underwear off. Can anyone confirm?

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
If you want a real 'stang, get a '69 Mach I with a 351. What a fun car to drive.

December2007017.jpg

Beta

Reaction score
Theoretically I like the mustang, but i cant help but feeling that its a high school car, and im only 25. Im seriously considering finding a 04 GTO for a combo of power/rwd/6 speed. what i really want is like a 540i sport, but worried about maintanence.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The car magazines (R&T, C&D) seem to love the new Mustang GT. They say that, for the money (upper 20's, I think), you get 0-60 in 5 seconds, good design, etc. etc.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kabert
The car magazines (R&T, C&D) seem to love the new Mustang GT. They say that, for the money (upper 20's, I think), you get 0-60 in 5 seconds, good design, etc. etc.

The performance to price ratio is pretty high. And im a fan of the design.

However i drive a lot and things like reliability and comfort and quality matter to me as well. So i was wondering if those are bad enough in it to make it a dealbreaker.

As for the high school car thing, that was when i used to be inlove with it. Back then id have bought one without blinking. I do agree about that but since im in lebanon now you rarely if ever see one so it has a different vibe here.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
Im seriously considering finding a 04 GTO for a combo of power/rwd/6 speed.

I wish Pontiac would bring the G8 Coupe to the US. It would be a worthy addition to the lineup, and fill the void left by the discontinuation of the GTO.

coupe6024fnc2.jpg

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
New Camaro Z28 has 426hp compared to the Mustang's 315. No contest.

Doesn't the Z28 have the 6.0? Apples to oranges.

Should be Hemi 6.1 (425 or 427) vs Cobra vs Z28

I have the 5.7 and it eats GTs and GTOs (odd- it'a a 6.0- 2 so far) for breakfast.

I'd like to find a Cobra, but I suspect I wouldn't do as well.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Doesn't the Z28 have the 6.0? Apples to oranges.

Should be Hemi 6.1 (425 or 427) vs Cobra vs Z28

I have the 5.7 and it eats GTs and GTOs (odd- it'a a 6.0- 2 so far) for breakfast.

I'd like to find a Cobra, but I suspect I wouldn't do as well.

The Mustang GT and the Z28 are long time rivals. Hardly apples to oranges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads