• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home for audio files?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am thinking about pivoting to more virtual storage of music, especially now that car stereos are almost all without CD capability. For storage, there is always the option of a 4TB SSD, but something more portable and resilient has its virtues also. Probably also something that isn’t inclined to sync to a device, as any single device might be smaller than my collection if it doesn’t have an external drive.

So what works, for ease of use and economy? Dropbox? Any other obvious candidate?

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a Roon / Tidal combo. The Roon ARC app can easily stream ripped files from your server to any iOS device, so you could stream anything directly to your phone in order to play it through your car. You can have a dedicated Roon server to host ripped files too, although I just use my desktop. You can download Tidal albums directly to your phone to listen to offline through the Tidal app, or download anything you've ripped locally from the server on to your phone through the Roon ARC app.

It's a pretty useful configuration to be able to access anything, ripped or streaming, while online, and to be able to download it if you know you'll be offline. If you don't use a dedicated server, you'll need to make sure whatever computer you are using to host the Roon core is online and the Roon application is open.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
There was a time I had an older iPhone I wasn't using any longer for cell service, but it still streamed, etc. I downloaded a bunch of albums from Tidal on it and left it plugged into my AUX jack in my truck on one of those dual camera adapter jacks so it would charge and play at the same time. Worked great until the battery bought the farm.

Not only CD players, but new cars are coming without AUX jacks, I understand. So, if you're going to stream from a portable player or phone, it's Bluetooth, unless there's another way I'm unfamiliar with.

And finally, another Roon/Tidal guy. I do very similar to Mr. Unn, although I have very few ripped files anymore--I'd say fewer than a couple dozen. There's just so much available on Tidal I haven't felt the need. A few live jazz albums, some CD-only era jazz that's not available on Tidal, a few esoteric Japanese jazz albums, stuff like that. I also use my desktop PC as my Roon server. I've never had an issue with it.

Honestly, I haven't even tried ARC. I keep a few playlists on my phone and change out several albums every once in a while. I don't need all my music with me all the time. Silence is golden, too.

sajesak

Reaction score
There was a time I had an older iPhone I wasn't using any longer for cell service, but it still streamed, etc. I downloaded a bunch of albums from Tidal on it and left it plugged into my AUX jack in my truck on one of those dual camera adapter jacks so it would charge and play at the same time. Worked great until the battery bought the farm.

Not only CD players, but new cars are coming without AUX jacks, I understand. So, if you're going to stream from a portable player or phone, it's Bluetooth, unless there's another way I'm unfamiliar with.

And finally, another Roon/Tidal guy. I do very similar to Mr. Unn, although I have very few ripped files anymore--I'd say fewer than a couple dozen. There's just so much available on Tidal I haven't felt the need. A few live jazz albums Chain-like Fence Installation Seattle, some CD-only era jazz that's not available on Tidal, a few esoteric Japanese jazz albums, stuff like that. I also use my desktop PC as my Roon server. I've never had an issue with it.

Honestly, I haven't even tried ARC. I keep a few playlists on my phone and change out several albums every once in a while. I don't need all my music with me all the time. Silence is golden, too.
For your music storage needs, Dropbox and Google Drive are solid options. Dropbox offers convenient cloud storage accessible from any device, while Google Drive integrates well with other Google services. Both provide ample storage options, but consider your budget and any security preferences when making a choice.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I keep all my ripped CDs on an Aurender music server, which is plugged into my CH Precision DAC/amp. I also keep two sets of backups - on my Apple Mac hard drive and on a backup hard SSD

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aurender looks to have a convenient, if expensive way to handle all of this. One model even has its own DAC, so a one-box solution.

And, I assume, it is easy to port out the files to use on another server or iPhone, etc.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
The Aurenders are great but you started the topic talking about portability and cars....

Not a big deal at all but I'm just curious about what you're really trying to solve for.

sajesak

Reaction score
Aurender looks to have a convenient, if expensive way to handle all of this. One model even has its own DAC, so a one-box solution.

And, I assume, it is easy to port out the files to use on another server or iPhone, etc.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Totally non-expert. But they are one of the few sources of this kind offered by Goodwin’s High End, which makes an effort at carrying good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads