• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

themanfromLisbon

Reaction score
Please don’t worry yourself, I simply don’t watch it due to choice of actor playing the inspector. When I first started reading the series, I did not know it was adapted into a TV show and the first cover has an painting of a man who one assumes is the inspector and he has a full head of hair.

Learning that the actor was bald threw me for a loop and I did not want to read subsequent mysteries and have the picture of the actor and my first impression of the painting competing for space in my mind.

It’s even mentioned in one of the books that Montalbano does not want to visit a certain area with Livia because they may be shooting the TV show and the “guy who plays me is bald as a coot” I believe is the words he used.

That’s funny. At the same time, it’s a usual problem when we read a book and after we see the movie version. Impossible not to compare, and many times, to be unhappy because usually the movie do not reach the level of the book, or some characters do not match with what we imagined from reading the book, or even were erased from the movie.
I didn’t knew the books, so I went to see the tv series without any idea of how the inspector (or any other character looked like). Anyway, it’s a nice serie, unpretentious, and the main actor looks human in the skin and of Montalbano, not a super Sherlock as we see in other series or movies.

Reaction score
The disciplinary effect is the tendency of the group to weed out the excesses of its members. Consciously or not, there is a clear process by which posters conform to the norms of the group. Some people, including myself, started by posting "wild" ensembles. Over time, we learn to restrain excesses or get hammered. Groupthink is about discipline. Here is my fit today showing that off, a chocolate grenadine tie with a TV fold square taming the more colorful suit. Hopefully, it will be approved by the group (not that I am a conformist, I just share a portion of my ensembles, with wild ones away from public consumption).

View attachment 1136347

Nicely done outfit and I appreciate the thoughtful reply.

I do agree that there's a "SF approved" look. What I am saying is there are those who deviate from the SF look and replace it with a tastefully and thoughtfully put together alternative and are, for the most part, praised and encouraged. I would call @RishaStyle 's outfits "wild" because of how they deviate from the SF look in terms of patterns and incorporation of bright colors. But he does it in a way that results in coherent and harmonious ensembles and I, for one, find them refreshing because they offer a new perspective. But there are also at times those who create utterly incoherent ensembles by mixing three bold patterns with four different bright colors (a certain gentleman comes to mind) and are provided feedback they may see as criticism (I call it good honest feedback). We shouldn't mistake the two.

Reaction score
They are from Natalino. The waist to thigh relationship is the best fit I've had from OTR. Construction is quite good too. I ordered a short, which is a 30" inseam, close to what I usually wear. These will need to be hemmed about 2". Maybe mine were just mislabeled? I should measure I guess.

That's great! I think I'll place an order for a pair of pants and maybe one of their polos soon!

cvb1

Reaction score
New to taking outfit pics, so here are 2 terrible pics of todays outfit.
It's still cold in sweden so dressing a bit warmer is still key.

MTM DB Suit: Blugiallo
Turtleneck, socks and handkerchief are all from John Henric.
20190302_194211.jpg 20190302_194241.jpg

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FallanharveyViola-02.jpg
FallanharveyViola-04.jpg
FallanharveyViola-06.jpg
FallanharveyViola-07.jpg
FallanharveyViola-09.jpg

Spent a few days in Gothenburg recently. They have a radical proposal to stop gentrification. The red graffiti in the last pic translates as "stab a hipster".

Jacket: Fallan & Harvey
Shirt & PS: Drake's
Tie: Viola Milano
Pants: Bladen
Boots: Red Wing
Scarf: Zegna

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
@DiplomaticTies

I certainly don't make a habit of just randomly complimenting people I've never had an interaction with but I can't let this one go. Really impressive how you managed to put together such an outfit, with such vivid colors while still maintaining a coherent wholesome look. This could have gone wrong on so many different levels but you made it work so near perfectly. If I had to make any kind of remark, I would have gone for a slightly more muted PS in comparison to the tie. Very inspirational overall, and a nice use of the background as well, images like these is what makes dressing a form of art for me.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DiplomaticTies

I certainly don't make a habit of just randomly complimenting people I've never had an interaction with but I can't let this one go. Really impressive how you managed to put together such an outfit, with such vivid colors while still maintaining a coherent wholesome look. This could have gone wrong on so many different levels but you made it work so near perfectly. If I had to make any kind of remark, I would have gone for a slightly more muted PS in comparison to the tie. Very inspirational overall, and a nice use of the background as well, images like these is what makes dressing a form of art for me.

That's very kind, thank you.

dunivan

Reaction score

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the subject of the universally reviled hipster, on Melrose Avenue in the Summer Of '15.

P1060097.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads