• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd lose the tie, wear more casual shoes, and, as a less immediate solution, wear higher rise trousers with less of a taper.

I agree completely with the trousers, that's part of the reason I don't wear these often and I am not sure if they are worth letting out. In essence, are you saying this SC and shirt combo is more on the casual side? I was torn between these and the brown loafers I was initially going to wear.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought the combo would've looked much better sans tie and oxford.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rowing through the week.

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

Epicure

Reaction score
@Epicure - great suit mate!
Thank you, I'm pleasantly surprised that it fits better than stuff made by my local tailor. I suppose it goes to show that a good MTM can trump a less than optimal bespoke fit. While there are small details I'd change if I could, none are deal breakers.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally, breaking from the usual piece-of-a-person posts I make in this thread. Apologies in advance for less than optimal shirt, tie and socks, and lack of pocket square. These are some quick, candid snaps taken by the store assistant when picking up and trying on this MTM suit for the first time. Being later in the day, my beard needed some grooming, and my moustache sorely in need of a fresh wax application. Please excuse these possible distractions! Anyway, happy to finally have my induction to the Donegal Club.

View attachment 868719

Awesome beard and mustache. I think darker shoes would work better.

Epicure

Reaction score
Awesome beard and mustache. I think darker shoes would work better.

Thanks, the beard and moustache were the only thing on me more comfortable than the suit!

As for the shoes, you may have a point. But if I'd chosen shoes to match for the trying on of this suit, which I maybe spent 15 minutes in, I would probably have had less than an optimal pairing for the fit I was wearing for about 10 hours that day. Next time though, darker shoes, probably something derby with more of a country aesthetic. Though I imagine a relatively sleek pair of chukka boots or even suede oxfords could work too.

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the beard and moustache were the only thing on me more comfortable than the suit!

As for the shoes, you may have a point. But if I'd chosen shoes to match for the trying on of this suit, which I maybe spent 15 minutes in, I would probably have had less than an optimal pairing for the fit I was wearing for about 10 hours that day. Next time though, darker shoes, probably something derby with more of a country aesthetic. Though I imagine a relatively sleek pair of chukka boots or even suede oxfords could work too.

Agreed! Dark Brown chukkas would’ve been killer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads