• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SprezzaTrash

Reaction score
Fair call. I'm not entirely happy with it myself and shouldn't have worn it.

That said, I think the right yellow tie can work well. This is what I was going for:
That's what immediately came to my mind when you posted! I think it was a bit odd due to the lighter shade of your jacket compared to the Drake's one. With that said, I still like blue shirts and yellow ties. Maybe I just admire yuppie style.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair call. I'm not entirely happy with it myself and shouldn't have worn it.

That said, I think the right yellow tie can work well. This is what I was going for:

If I may add my opinion Gerry, I think it has to do with the stripes of the shirt. This one is basically a mid-blue shirt with white stripes, so not really a business shirt. While yours has evenly spaced white/blue, a true City/banker's shirt and that doesn't sit well with the casual brown linen(?) suit.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I may add my opinion Gerry, I think it has to do with the stripes of the shirt. This one is basically a mid-blue shirt with white stripes, so not really a business shirt. While yours has evenly spaced white/blue, a true City/banker's shirt and that doesn't sit well with the casual brown linen(?) suit.

Thanks for that. It makes perfect sense.

Dusty Heaters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Horrible picture, but I love this jacket and I wanted to show you all how cool it is. I stuck my phone in the office secretary's desk plant and then quick ran against the wall to act like I was just causally posted up there. That's how hard I tried. You're welcome.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AS - incredibly rare i have a negative thought about your fits. That is a beautiful suit, the tie feels a bit bright with it. perhaps more of a burgundy or darker/less vibrant tie would have felt more congruent, to me anyway.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
So Close, but that curled up shirt collar and those shoes let the rest of the outfit down. What shoe & shirt size do you have? If we're the same size, and if you're willing to pay the postage I could send you some stuff.

Good day sir,

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for the advice.

Would it be OK if I PM'd you? I am willing to pay the postage too.

Thank you very much for such a generous offer by the way.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
Hal, one of your best fit to date! I really like the jacket lenght and how the trousers fit! As EFV said, though, the shirt collar is a let down, as are the shoes.

Edit* I always thought you were 24, 26, along those lines!

Thank you sir!

Your comments are always a happy sight. As for the shirt, maybe I just need to get over my lazy habits and actually just iron it to a clean crisp. How can I provide better care for my boots?

Also, I haven't reached my 20's yet! I had just turned 19 a few months ago.

Hal

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
Sorry no silky smooth photography :( Here's a work selfie.

1960's Corduroy jacket (thrifted YESTERDAY!), vintage OCBD (thrift), 1930's tie (eBay), J. Crew trousers, AE loafers (ebay)

Haven't been blogging or taking pictures lately because I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed with some stuff, but I hope to get back in my groove soon! I purchased 3 suits for $75 total that I hope to share with you guys as soon as I make the trip to my tailor.

Hope everyone is starting the week well!

Wonderful outfit sir! Might I ask where you work?

Additionally, what a peculiar choice of tie bar. What specific type of bar is that?

@Roycru your posts always give me a smile. Always seems nice that you put a personal touch into a post, as if I was reading a journal entry.

Hal Freeman

Reaction score
Sorry for posting several different and separate posts instead of one post.

I had no idea what to wear today and was at a lost as to which jacket I should wear; either a charcoal grey top or a 3-btn lite blue blazer. So I ended up just taking two photos.

As you can see they are very close in colour. The one on the top is the blue blazer and the bottom is charcoal.

I ended up wearing the charcoal top since the shirt and tie were blue. I still struggle with colour matching and pairing so please forgive me.

Thank you all.

[P.S.] I messed up the tie knot in the photo.. sorry.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poses in yet another section of the apartment, recently cleared of packing boxes. A rainy day in NYC - none too inspiring for getting dressed up, but I endeavor . . .

Suit - BB
Shirt - Thomas Pink
Tie - Lewin
Vintage watch chain
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Shoes - Stefano Branchini
Raincoat - Burberry
Scarf - Zegna
Hat - Weatherproof

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads