• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dwpenny

Reaction score
Friday at least - a helluva week it was. Good to have some cashmeres and flannels to tone down for a while.
Again, some interesting fits on the last few pages - the occassionally flame-throwing has been entertaining.

Criticism (i´m looking at you, @Caustic Man ) is welcome - praise from you @Forper , as well
bigstar[1].gif

RL cashmere herrringbone jacket
charcoal turtleneck
Corneliani flannel slacks
Meermin chukka boots

Dennis Walter

Reaction score

Well @dwpenny ...i have thoughtfully invested in good homecare insurance before my misfortunate incident with the tailor that just didn´t want to cut the lapels in the width that i wanted. The following dispute was settled when i strangled him with some minor-quality thread he brought along, while he was stabbing at me with his rust-bitten scissors. Needle-ss to say we agreed on parting afterwards.
As for the dressing assistance: she is blond, rather tall and highly attractive and i think about getting into the fight with my shoemaker to keep her around. I still got two legs....

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was a great day yesterday ( http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...-part-iv-starting-may-2014/32625#post_8312202 ) but back to reality today. Having walked with upr_ past the site of long-gone Simpsons of Piccadilly (now Waterstones bookshop) I dug out one of my oldest ties that I bought there in the early 90s by Cerruti 1881.

Some really great fits lately gents! I hope the new job goes well @SYCSYC

When I referred to Simpsons of Piccadilly it occurred to me that I should post a couple of pics from the wonderful interior of this Grade1 Listed Building for those who may have missed it in its heyday:

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, Friday. Same old suit, this time with what might be a @Testudo_Aubreii -approved chocolate-colored tie.

Suit: Bespoke Hemrajani
Shirt: Proper Cloth
Tie: Henry Carter
Square: Kent Wang (The big wave square to mark the Maverick's Big Wave Surf competition happening today in Half Moon Bay, California)
Shoes: Edward Green

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I referred to Simpsons of Piccadilly it occurred to me that I should post a couple of pics from the wonderful interior of this Grade1 Listed Building for those who may have missed it in its heyday:

Thanks for these interior shots. I believe this was the company that launched the DAKS brand back in the 30s. Their HQ was one of the first Modernist buildings in London and featured large convex display windows on the ground floor, which were unheard-of at the time. Apparently they cut down reflections, allowing the public a better view of the merchandise displayed within.

I thrifted a beautiful shepherd's check DAKS jacket in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for the weather to cool down so I can post a fit pic here. It's quite special.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Australia, "daks" is slang for "trousers". Is this also the case in the UK?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for these interior shots. I believe this was the company that launched the DAKS brand back in the 30s.

I thrifted a beautiful shepherd's check DAKS jacket in Sydney a couple of weeks ago. Waiting for the weather to cool down so I can post a fit pic here. It's quite special.

I'm looking forward to seeing it! Yes DAKS gave us the first self-supporting trou back in the 30s.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Australia, "daks" is slang for "trousers". Is this also the case in the UK?

Never heard this.

Everywhere else DAKS are buttoned trouser side adjusters, named that by their inventor, I believe. (It's a portmanteau of “dad” and “slacks.”)

Cheers,

Ac

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads