• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rms340

Reaction score

Ring
Jwn
Drakes
Rubinacci

Am I the only one who finds the stripes on the shirt too close in scale to the pattern of the jacket? No hate Justin, just asking for my own sartorial knowledge.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snow in Tennesse, y'all. The place shuts down!

Barbour Liddesdale
Corneliani ID unstructured faux-tweed jacket
Gutteridge shirt that I wear every day basically
BB Tie
Uniqlo Denim
Polo Ralph Lauren loafers that I wear every day basically

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Knowing Clags, too much blue is damn near fighting words!

I spoke too quickly; I've nothing against lots of blue. What I'm against is having the secondary in the shirt repeat the ground of the suit, or--far worse--having the ground of the shirt repeat the suit ground.. His combination is definitely not bad, and miles better than all but a very few men would wear. It's just not optimal.

I feel more strongly about the scale of the stripes than the colors.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is pretty good; next time try an ice pink shirt and a tie in dark chocolate, or in black to complement the suit check. With a suit that showy, I think white linen hank would be better.

Mid brown to dark brown shoes would look better. Snuff suede would look great.

Thanks. I agree that a pink shirt will work well here, but not so sure about the chocolate tie idea. I'll give that some thought. The overcheck is actually blue so a navy tie works better than black. I've tried both.

The shoes I wore today I wore as an experiment, sort of a probation for them. I'd normally wear something like my EG captoes in dark oak. I have a pair of snuff suede shoes, but I am coming to the realization that although suede shoes are well-regarded on StyFo, they are not really my cup of tea.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I spoke too quickly; I've nothing against lots of blue. What I'm against is having the secondary in the shirt repeat the ground of the suit, or--far worse--having the ground of the shirt repeat the suit ground.. His combination is definitely not bad, and miles better than all but a very few men would wear. It's just not optimal.

I feel more strongly about the scale of the stripes than the colors.

Agree on the stripes; I said as much on my IG.

Blue shirts with blue jackets, on the other hand, are staple. As for too much blue, my favorite outfit from the past couple of weeks:

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Am I the only one who finds the stripes on the shirt too close in scale to the pattern of the jacket? No hate Justin, just asking for my own sartorial knowledge.

The stripes on the shirt are quite close together; the large checks on the jacket may have elements that echo the stripes in the shirt but is a completely different scale.

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The stripes on the shirt are quite close together; the large checks on the jacket may have elements that echo the stripes in the shirt but is a completely different scale.

Still, there's visual interference because of the similar scale of the shirt stripes and those in the checks.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Agree on the stripes; I said as much on my IG.

Blue shirts with blue jackets, on the other hand, are staple. As for too much blue, my favorite outfit from the past couple of weeks;

To each his own, I guess. Cary Grant and Fred Astaire would never have done it. The Duke of Windsor did, though.

Note though that when the Duke does it, he has the shirt ground repeat the secondary in the suit, not the ground. What you're doing is having the shirt ground repeat the suit ground. And his shirt is so icy blue its almost gray. Even though his ensemble is all shades of blue, the fact that everything has strong checks of different shades prevents it from looking like pure monochrome. What we get with your ensemble here is the appearance of large expanses of pure solids of different shades of the same color. What you risk with this second ensemble is canceling out the appearance of a V shape between your lapels. And the whole point of Western coats since about 1860 has been to heighten the appearance of the masculine V from shoulders to feet..

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Thanks. I agree that a pink shirt will work well here, but not so sure about the chocolate tie idea. I'll give that some thought. The overcheck is actually blue so a navy tie works better than black. I've tried both.

The shoes I wore today I wore as an experiment, sort of a probation for them. I'd normally wear something like my EG captoes in dark oak. I have a pair of snuff suede shoes, but I am coming to the realization that although suede shoes are well-regarded on StyFo, they are not really my cup of tea.

Wow! A gray DB with a navy check! That, sir, is one bold suit. In that case, I do think a dark brown tie and ice pink shirt would look great: especially with your dark oak shoes. Have you checked out David's midnight blue grenadine? That might be just the thing to complement the check. Maybe it's my monitor, but your navy grenadine is coming out as too blue to really blend with the check.

If you don't like snuff suede, you'll probably hate the idea of navy blue suede. I think they'd look great with a flannelish suit with a navy check. Black suede is another option.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! A gray DB with a navy check! That, sir, is one bold suit. In that case, I do think a dark brown tie and ice pink shirt would look great: especially with your dark oak shoes. Have you checked out David's midnight blue grenadine? That might be just the thing to complement the check. Maybe it's my monitor, but your navy grenadine is coming out as too blue to really blend with the check.

If you don't like snuff suede, you'll probably hate the idea of navy blue suede. I think they'd look great with a flannelish suit with a navy check. Black suede is another option.

My Drake's tie is a darker navy than this Hober and looks very close to the Hober midnight blue. It's too close to black, in my opinion. I like this navy.

It's not snuff suede that I'm disenchanted with, it's suede, period. I actually have a pair of (navy) blue suede shoes, but they're a bit too casual to wear with a suit.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Testudo_Aubreii

Not a fan of the Duke's outfit there (nor am I generally a fan of what he wears). I like how Grant dresses, but I don't recall either he nor Astaire ever wearing blue or blue grounded shirts.

Regardless, citing historical figures is, and has always been, a silly way to make an argument. XX does it, therefore it's ok.

The question is: do you mind large expanses of the same color in different hues? And if so, why?

The blue-blue-blue is extreme, but a blue shirt with a blue jacket, I think, is pretty standard. And often times, all else equal, the best option. Here, for example:

Also, I'm just now noticing how similar those shirts are. One herringbone and one check. I perhaps do have a thing for blue shirts that I never noticed the redundancy)

I don't think a white or a white with brown would look nicer than a blue.

In general, I think variety in hue and vibrance is more important than variety in the colors themselves, particularly with two items (as opposed to three or four).

That being said, I'm a big fan of brown patterned shirts with blue jackets. And regardless, it's nice good for thought.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Testudo_Aubreii

Not a fan of the Duke's outfit there (not am I generally a fan of what he wears). I like how Grant dresses, but I don't recall either he nor Astaire ever wearing blue or blue grounded shirts.

Regardless, citing historical figures is, and has always been, a silly way to make an argument. XX does it, therefore it's ok.

The question is: do you mind large expanses of the same color in different hues? And if so, why?

The blue-blue-blue is extreme, but a blue shirt with a blue jacket, I think, is pretty standard.

In general, I think variety in hue and vibrance is more important than variety in the colors themselves, particularly with two items (as opposed to three or four).

That being said, I'm a big fan of brown patterned shirts with blue jackets. And regardless, it's nice good for thought.

Agree with this. I also like blue-on-blue, especially blue shirts and blue suits. I think there's a congruousness in the fit you posted today that works.

Where you lost me was with brown patterned shirts. My imagination rebels trying to picture that.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads