• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday. I've been trying to dress SF aprops for the month of November. I think I deserve at least one transgression in 30 days. Can't promise there won't be more.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Very colorful, Acute.

Dennis Walter

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers are with the French people today...it is odd to just keep posting when you think about last night´s mass murder...i really have mixed feelings about just carrying on with my usual habits...but then again there´s probably nothing i could do about it and self-containment doesn´t bring back the dead. What´s your take on it, gentlemen?

bienluienapris

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers are with the French people today...it is odd to just keep posting when you think about last night´s mass murder...i really have mixed feelings about just carrying on with my usual habits...but then again there´s probably nothing i could do about it and self-containment doesn´t bring back the dead. What´s your take on it, gentlemen?
Just doing as usual is probably the best answer to this... it's not easy, but it's the better option and thinking to family, keep the unit.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this a Suit Supply suit? I like it...

LounesMatoub

Reaction score
Its a difficult question and I have mixed feelings about it too. I have to say that my father is french and I have family and friends in Paris. Last night wasn't easy because I was very concerned about them and shocked about whats happened. Today it was of course the permanent topic. Now I had the need to do something different to come to other thoughts for some time.

(Hope I express my self understandable)

Last edited:

Cao Cao

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Terrorists win if we stop living our lives. But we should remember those who have lost their lives and their family members.

(Dang it, my avatar is not the most appropriate one with what has happened)

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who could get quite heated regarding the politics of it (and lord knows the Internet makes for a cauldron), I'll leave that for others to discuss.

For me, I agree that there is nothing you can do. Sure, continuing on with your life is going to cause some to think you (in the general sense) an ass, but I find that absurd. That you do not shut down your life is not proof of indifference on the matter. One is fully capable of being shocked and bothered by last night's events, whilst still maintaining the very basic tenets of daily life.

As a throw in, I think anyone who is sincerely bothered by one carrying on with his or her life, should direct that anger toward constructive methods, and discussions that could be helpful in identifying the root problems that MIGHT be able to prevent such atrocities (as this is certainly not the first time the culprit has been responsible for death on a large scale) from occurring in the future.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prayers are extended to our brothers and sisters. This could be any of us and we are all family. It's beautiful that something as vain as fashion ignites our softer, human and compassionate side. As men-in strength, despair, hardship, and in prayer, we have been Blessed to come together in style and in the Grace our Lord extends to us. Let's do an act of kindness for every death in Paris over the coming week. I know we can afford it because hey, we are here.

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've mentioned a number of times how much I appreciate the photographic element to our hobby.

So in terms of the photographic element of our hobby and the photographic appeal of certain types of pictures, I have a question: what is the appeal of backgrounds with graffiti? When people go through the trouble of taking pictures outside of their houses, that seems to be the one of the most common choices of background (unless you're German, in which case your choice of background is awesome European cities). It's not something that I greatly mind, mind you, but it also doesn't grab me as a particularly good photographic background (unless it is very, very out of focus and deep in the background).

My only guess is that it has something to do with the juxtaposition of urban decay with nice clothing? (In which case, why haven't I seen anyone in a double breasted pinstripe suit on a tractor. @kulata
, there are always trees in your background. I assume there is a tractor nearby. Make this happen. Says the guy living in Texas.)

TLDR: WHY ALL Y'ALL STANDING IN FRONT OF GRAFFITI?
---

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while I posted here.

Nice one, @tchoy . Looks like Castlereagh Street. Just a block or so from my Sydney yard.

My quick comment about the Paris atrocity. Most of us here are Westerners, and understandably, an attack of this nature on one of the great metropolises of the West hits us very hard.

We should take the opportunity to remember also, the recent bombings in Beirut and Baghdad. Similar numbers of people lost their lives under similarly brutal circumstances. We should not let ourselves become inured to the suffering of ordinary people in such places. They are human too.

Personally, I have grave misgivings about Western countries meddling militarily in the internal affairs of Middle Eastern states. I don't think any good can come of it. At all. My own country is involved, and I think it's only a matter of time before some horrific incident befalls us here too.

You can measure the odiousness of a regime by the degree of desire of its subjects to escape. For decades, the borders of Communist countries such as the USSR and China were closed to their own citizens. Eventually, the USSR collapsed; China has survived by gradually relaxing at least some of its social repression. "Islamic State" will collapse too, if simply left to its own devices.

Probably very simplistic, naïve views. Anyway, my heart goes out to Paris.

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads