• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mlstein

Reaction score
PXL_20231130_173636364.jpg

Harris Tweed Teba from Epaulaet, made in my home town by Rochester Tailored Clothing.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was exactly the issue. The tie was too long and my torso is not.
Tuck the back blade through the tie keeper and then any extra back blade length goes into the trousers. Double Windsor knot looks terrible with a normal collar shirt. Extra wide collar shirts should be avoided anyway.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuck the back blade through the tie keeper and then any extra back blade length goes into the trousers. Double Windsor knot looks terrible with a normal collar shirt. Extra wide collar shirts should be avoided anyway.
Great advice. Will do.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC is sunny and seasonable - neither too cold nor too mild for late November. The only two items which I'm wearing today of sartorial interest are my cufflinks (purchased as earrings at a shop within the Grand Canyon National Park, touted as being Navajo made, and converted to cufflinks by my local jeweler), and my boots, purchased months ago from J Fitzpatrick, and only finally christened with wearing (and their first polish) today.

J Fitzpatrick Chelsea boots, VKNagrani socks, New & Lingwood cords, turquoise and silver cufflinks.

PXL_20231128_220556994.jpg
PXL_20231130_193813034.MP.jpg

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
the whole "four in hand is the only acceptable knot" argument is a bit tired and I will never understand the militant attitude with which it is espoused. as someone who wears a 4IH knot 90% of the time, there are still times when another knot is not just acceptable but better, and the fact that every single time it seems to trigger a response from someone going "dear sir, have you considered that a 4IH would be more appropriate" is just a bit too ridiculous for me.

the anti-cutaway collar argument is starting to creep into similar territory as well.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every Christmas I go to the Holiday Market at Century City and take a picture with the locomotive that is there.

If every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings, most angels got their wings from the bells on railroad locomotives and the bells on railroad crossing signals.

https://www.westfield.com/.../events.../the-holiday-market

IMG_6509.jpeg

Brooks Brothers tweed jacket, L L Bean blue OCBD shirt, Vineyard Vines Christmas tie, Gap Argyle sweater vest, Squarextraordiniare pocket square, Polo Ralph Lauren grey flannel trousers and Argyle socks and Allen-Edmonds shoes.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the whole "four in hand is the only acceptable knot" argument is a bit tired and I will never understand the militant attitude with which it is espoused. as someone who wears a 4IH knot 90% of the time, there are still times when another knot is not just acceptable but better, and the fact that every single time it seems to trigger a response from someone going "dear sir, have you considered that a 4IH would be more appropriate" is just a bit too ridiculous for me.

the anti-cutaway collar argument is starting to creep into similar territory as well.
Contrarian opinion: cutaway collars are great. They can be somewhat/very tricky with a tie (so, yes, versatility is diminished), particularly with the VERY aggressively styled collars, but I think they're fantastic if you're going sans tie and/or want a (obviously open necked) casual shirt without picking a buttondown collar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads