• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blewnote1

Reaction score
Thank you. I think the sleeves of the shirt are too short. I will check this.

Eh, I don't know how much longer they could come down on your hand to show past the cuff of the jacket. My guess is your tailor just missed the mark on those.

My tailor usually is great at most things, but getting the sleeves "just so" seems to be a challenge and sometimes I just don't think it's worth hassling him over getting it perfect. I always wear the same shirt when trying on new jackets, but I sometimes wonder if I might have been standing slightly differently causing the sleeves to hang differently and the measurements to be off. If it's really bad I will take it back, but am trying to be less neurotic about it. How do the rest of you deal with this?

psb

Reaction score
Eh, I don't know how much longer they could come down on your hand to show past the cuff of the jacket. My guess is your tailor just missed the mark on those.

My tailor usually is great at most things, but getting the sleeves "just so" seems to be a challenge and sometimes I just don't think it's worth hassling him over getting it perfect. I always wear the same shirt when trying on new jackets, but I sometimes wonder if I might have been standing slightly differently causing the sleeves to hang differently and the measurements to be off. If it's really bad I will take it back, but am trying to be less neurotic about it. How do the rest of you deal with this?
It looked ok when fitting it at the taylor. Now it looks as if the sleves are too long.
But it is no problem to get alterations done.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYC continues to be warm, sunny, and dry - a touch of leftover summer to be enjoyed while it can be. As much as I should be donning something less formal, today's suit has been languishing in my closet for some time now, so I've donned it, with some other accessories that have not seen the light of day for a while. Today's tie was a COVID purchase, during the last gasping days of the NYC discounter Century 21, and it's the first day that I've worn it. Happily, it was obtained at a heavy discount - ditto today's cufflinks as well.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ermenegildo Zegna
Cufflinks - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (made by Magnanni)

IMG_7816.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG
IMG_7813.JPG
IMG_7814.JPG
IMG_7815.JPG

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No one is perfectly symmetrical but tailors often make the sleeves the same length. I always have one side (same side) where the cuff shows less due possibly to posture, arm length, shoulder slope, all of them? It has never bothered me enough to nitpick about it.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No one is perfectly symmetrical but tailors often make the sleeves the same length. I always have one side (same side) where the cuff shows less due possibly to posture, arm length, shoulder slope, all of them? It has never bothered me enough to nitpick about it.

Every tailor I have ever bought a suit or sportcoat from measures each sleeve separately, starting from the thumb and measuring upwards to get 1/4 to 1/2 shirt cuff showing.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every tailor I have ever bought a suit or sportcoat from measures each sleeve separately, starting from the thumb and measuring upwards to get 1/4 to 1/2 shirt cuff showing.
Now that you post this, my tailor does mark each side separately. Odd that it still always looks uneven on me.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday. Wearing my suit from high school. The pants are feeing more and more snug by the month. :lol: Also, the first appearance of the black oxfords. These shoes are a decade in the making. Thanks to everyone who has stood by me despite my foolishness. This one is for you.

73420243-89EB-45A4-9F3F-3686D274BF6F.jpeg

F5A36171-CDAB-491F-9A1C-E9888DF230C4.jpeg

B79C5FC6-D7D4-474E-A19E-3F9D2A22999E.jpeg

DB1CDF95-EE63-4040-9755-24F8C2125626.jpeg

55B6A0A5-1988-400C-B5CF-458B4E92C380.jpeg

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
A few years back I designed and adopted a modernization of Regency menswear with the innovations of the past 140 years. Something I have wanted to do since I was 3 or 4 years old but was difficult to convince myself if going against the grain this hard was worth it. Ultimately, as I approach 40 I decided being what I most truly love always is. This modernized Regency style is something I have been wearing often the past 3 years (In addition to my modern London Neoclassical Revival Style), but have refrained from posting anything this far back on here. No hard feelings if this attire is too idiosyncratic or eccentric for styleforum and needs to be deleted. View attachment 1840871 View attachment 1840872 View attachment 1840873
This is fantastic. Do you have an Instagram or somewhere else where you put more pictures?
One small detail - I don't believe an English gent of this period would wear his hat at while sitting at the bar ;)

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few years back I designed and adopted a modernization of Regency menswear with the innovations of the past 140 years. Something I have wanted to do since I was 3 or 4 years old but was difficult to convince myself if going against the grain this hard was worth it. Ultimately, as I approach 40 I decided being what I most truly love always is. This modernized Regency style is something I have been wearing often the past 3 years (In addition to my modern London Neoclassical Revival Style), but have refrained from posting anything this far back on here. No hard feelings if this attire is too idiosyncratic or eccentric for styleforum and needs to be deleted. View attachment 1840871 View attachment 1840872 View attachment 1840873

I want to apologize in advance, if I will sound too direct, but I think that you would prefer having my genuine opinion rather than a like for your boldness and individuality, that you deserve anyway. I also want to say that everybody has to feel free to wear what he likes and makes him happy and comfortable, I don't want to teach anybody anything, just discuss about style, as this forum is supposed to.

So, I don't like this outfit and that era is not what I refer to for my clothing style. I don't say that it looks bad or does not suit you, it just looks odd and out of place (time). You would not raise much more astonishment wearing a roman toga or walking around in eighteenth-century clothes and wig.

My reference era are the 30s and 40s of the past century, which are the base and inspiration of the modern classic men wardrobe, and, as I see, you would hardly get smarter than that .

Besides, style and elegance are subtlety and refinement, never too loud and ostantatious: a gentleman certainly would not get attention for some eccentricity and extravagance.

cr2596

Reaction score
The weather in NYC continues to be warm, sunny, and dry - a touch of leftover summer to be enjoyed while it can be. As much as I should be donning something less formal, today's suit has been languishing in my closet for some time now, so I've donned it, with some other accessories that have not seen the light of day for a while. Today's tie was a COVID purchase, during the last gasping days of the NYC discounter Century 21, and it's the first day that I've worn it. Happily, it was obtained at a heavy discount - ditto today's cufflinks as well.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ermenegildo Zegna
Cufflinks - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (made by Magnanni)

View attachment 1841031

Sir, first, you’ve conjured a lovely ensemble. More importantly, that suit has a particular flattery that stands out from your many others. More sun for that one.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Is the hat an original silk plush one? If so a style like that is kinda rare! The majority of hats I see in the market are typically from the 1900s-1930s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads