• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LJ1891

Reaction score
@lindenbaum
IMG_1778.jpeg

IMG_1779.jpeg

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different hue temperatures between the blue in the shirt, the blue in the jacket, and the tie….the patterns clash with each other as well. Maybe the scale of the patterns create the clash. I’m not sure.

View attachment 2122373
This guy is wearing 3 different patterns. But notice how the scale of the patterns harmonize and the different colors all have similar temperatures. Everything resolves.

Keep practicing 👍
And don’t be afraid to bomb. We have all had bad combo’s

Nelton

Reaction score
Warm weather continues here in Sydney with crazy humidity.

I tried to pair this with a burgundy knit tie and removed it as it just didn’t feel right. One of my colleagues said the socks don’t go with the outfit as it is all cold colours with a warm colour for the socks and I think that was the issue with burgundy tie I didn’t wear too! Always a learning game

Suit - Vanda Tailors
Shirt - Reiss
Shoes - Loake
IMG_7265.jpeg
IMG_7268.jpeg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried to pair this with a burgundy knit tie and removed it as it just didn’t feel right. One of my colleagues said the socks don’t go with the outfit as it is all cold colours with a warm colour for the socks and I think that was the issue with burgundy tie I didn’t wear too! Always a learning game

Suit - Vanda Tailors
Shirt - Reiss
Shoes - Loake View attachment 2122411 View attachment 2122413

Again, you would benefit of wider legs on the trousers.
The more classic and safer way to pair the socks is in the colour, or similar tone, of the trousers. You certainly can use a high contrast, I do often, but it looks better if you have another element in the outfit the same colour. In your case I would choose navy socks, matching the pocket square.

Last edited:

vim147

Reaction score

Suit - Vanda Tailors
Shirt - Reiss
How big are your cuffs on your pants ?
Whats the fit like on reiss shirts ? Always seem to look like a really slim fit on their website. Did you get your normal size ?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suit - Vanda Tailors
Shirt - Reiss
Jacket looks good.
Strides just look way off as noted above in terms of tightness of hems and height of turnups.
When I wear a very pale (cream, beige) suit I like to spice it up a bit with a more saturated shirt. Think Pierce Brosnan in The World Is Not Enough when he wears a cream suit with a bright royal blue shirt.

lindenbaum

Reaction score

Maybe? For me it is the shirt being too close in size to the jacket. The tie seems to blend in. Either smaller spacing or just plain shirt.

I was thinking about a checked shirt for my fit pics above yours and decided to go with a faintly striped shirt. Similarly, I think yours would be less busy with a plain shirt or maybe a more faint pattern.

Uh maybe but I think it's a few other things:
1. The jacket appears to be too big.
2. The balance in the busy-ness is off. You have 3 patterns up top (shirt, tie, jacket) and no patterns on bottom (plain brown shoes, plain navy pants).
3. The blues don't harmonize (cold navy with some warm blue tones up top and the red).

So...

1. Get the jacket to fit better, maybe button up
2. Balance out the patterns top to bottom
3. Rather than match different blues, add in another color (like brown) and play with that than all blue everything.

Different hue temperatures between the blue in the shirt, the blue in the jacket, and the tie….the patterns clash with each other as well. Maybe the scale of the patterns create the clash. I’m not sure.

View attachment 2122373
This guy is wearing 3 different patterns. But notice how the scale of the patterns harmonize and the different colors all have similar temperatures. Everything resolves.

Keep practicing 👍

Thank you for the advice guys!

I used to wear solid ties for this jacket since it has very pronounced patterns.(Sorry for the bad knot)

240111-1.jpg

However, I wanted to try patterned ties with this jacket, resulting in the disaster above. :)

@acconrad I can hardly go fitter than this, considering my body and age. Maybe, you felt so because I unbuttoned the jacket. :(

@LJ1891 Yeah, I read the book. I thought the large spacing of shirt could ease the patterns up, but failed. :oops:

I took some advice from you guys. What about this? It doesn't still look good to me though, better than the previous one? Maybe just stick to solid ties. lol

240130-1-1.jpg

240130-2-1.jpg

Of course, I didn't wear the same jacket for today. I tried this last night.;)

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I used to wear solid ties for this jacket since it has very pronounced patterns.(Sorry for the bad knot)

View attachment 2122513

However, I wanted to try patterned ties with this jacket, resulting in the disaster above. :)

@acconrad I can hardly go fitter than this, considering my body and age. Maybe, you felt so because I unbuttoned the jacket. :(

@LJ1891 Yeah, I read the book. I thought the large spacing of shirt could ease the patterns up, but failed. :oops:

I took some advice from you guys. What about this? It doesn't still look good to me though, better than the previous one? Maybe just stick to solid ties. lol

View attachment 2122539
View attachment 2122541

For loud patterns I try to stick to the Italian background of light blue shirts. It helps tame it some and lowers the contrast. Now that I see this fit I think I agree that the tone matters here for the pants when the jacket is such a bright blue.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 2122513

View attachment 2122539
View attachment 2122541

I wouldn't say disaster. You took a swing and missed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads