• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The coat looks overall good, fit is also good, except maybe for the sleeves, which look too long to me. I share your considerations on the lapels: they are too narrow for me. I'm not a fan of that gap between collar and lapel either: for me the edges should go parallel.

Thanks! That kind of gap between the lapel and collar is actually quite classic in my eyes, you can see it on a lot of coats, it's something different to the kind with parallel edges. Definitely though I need to shorten the sleeves.

I think it looks great. I see what you mean about the lapels, but I think they look balanced and restrained, which works well in a coat with other "bold" features. There's a tendency in a lot of makers to go "one more" and have too large collars, lapels etc., which often leads to a cosplay look.
Yeah! They're not as wide as I'd have them if I were making it bespoke but actually they're not too narrow either. Agree that 'balanced' is a good word to use here.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know it's not coat season yet but I am thinking ahead and I couldn't resist buying this Anglo-Italian Martingala today. The main goal is to wear it with separate jacket/trouser combinations and suits. Can I get your thoughts on it?

I think it ticks quite a lot of boxes, it's made in a wonderful heavy 25 oz cloth, has a nice shape, the correct length (hits right below the knee) and the back is very sexy IMO. The only thing I'm not sure about is the lapels - they're a little on the narrow side. I don't think they're unbalanced but I'd appreciate an opinion nonetheless about how it looks overall.

View attachment 2037715
View attachment 2037717
View attachment 2037719
View attachment 2037723
View attachment 2037725
I also have my eyes on this coat. I think it looks great on you.

Is this navy or charcoal? And do you see yourself wearing it more casual as well? Like with OCBD and knit + jeans/chinos?

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have my eyes on this coat. I think it looks great on you.

Is this navy or charcoal? And do you see yourself wearing it more casual as well? Like with OCBD and knit + jeans/chinos?
Thanks! This is navy.

It definitely can work, I tried it on with some jeans, boots and rollneck and it was a cool look. But ultimately where it shines is smarter outfits in my opinion, I think mostly due to the length. Mind you, it is quite roomy so if you're not gonna wear it on top of a jacket it might make sense to size down. Also, to me it looks best when buttoned up but if you plan on wearing it open then it's even more of an oversized look.

For casual outfits, I'd go with a shorter peacoat for example, but in the absence of one, this could definitely do the trick if you like the more dramatic look.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some days of monsoons here in NYC last week, the sun has finally made a successful return. In the interim, though, we had a pair of friends from the UK staying with us, and we went out for some suited adventures - a dinner upstate on Thursday with more sartorially-minded friends, and dinner in town Friday evening, amidst the raindrops. Some photo evidence of same given below.

IMG-20230928-WA0038.jpg

IMG-20230928-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230928-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20230928-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20230928-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20230928-WA0040.jpg

PXL_20230930_010528041.NIGHT.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After some days of monsoons here in NYC last week, the sun has finally made a successful return. In the interim, though, we had a pair of friends from the UK staying with us, and we went out for some suited adventures - a dinner upstate on Thursday with more sartorially-minded friends, and dinner in town Friday evening, amidst the raindrops. Some photo evidence of same given below.

View attachment 2038111

Oh my god the lighting in the first photo hahahaha. I absolutely thought you photoshopped yourself/husband into the photo :rotflmao:

Looks like a fun (totally real all other photos affirm!) time for all.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicholas Tibor Engel was in Los Angeles today so we went out and had something to eat.

A while back I asked Nicholas if he was getting a tan suit. At the time he said he didn't want a tan suit, so I wore a tan suit today like King Charles III often does.

IMG_6017.jpeg

I am wearing a Brooks Brothers pre Officious Preppy Handbook (the book that ruined everything forever) cotton and polyester machine washable suit that never wrinkles and moths avoid, A bow tie Club tie, a Polo Golf Fair Isle sweater vest, a Stafford ivory OCBD shirt, a generic pocket square, and Allen-Edmonds waxed suede shoes.

We ate at the Tea Rose Garden in Pasadena CA.

IMG_6015.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads