• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

punit12

Reaction score
Here goes, my first post in here after many months of lurking. This is what I wore at a friend's wedding reception in Mumbai.
Everything is bought on a student budget until I can afford a proper wardrobe! Couldn't get a full photo as girlfriend can't operate the SLR properly!
Suit- Daniel Hechter
Shirt- Ralph Lauren
Tie- Alexandre Saville Row
P.S.- Tie Rack
Belt and Shoes were burgundy leather.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Here goes, my first post in here after many months of lurking. This is what I wore at a friend's wedding reception in Mumbai.
Everything is bought on a student budget until I can afford a proper wardrobe! Couldn't get a full photo as girlfriend can't operate the SLR properly!
Suit- Daniel Hechter
Shirt- Ralph Lauren
P.S.- Tie Rack

Welcome aboard! A bit too much blue would be my only criticism. I think a pink gingham shirt would have been better. Otherwise everything looks like it fits pretty well. I think you look great.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Thank you!
You know, the more I look at it maybe a shirt that is simply less saturated would do it for me. Perhaps keeping the shirt and swapping the square instead . . . I'm sure someone else could give you better advice. Just some food for thought. Hope to see more from you in the future!

beneven

Reaction score
Tie seems a little more formal than the rest of the pieces imo. Maybe something a little more textured/woolen would be more consistent? Also, the knot could use a little work for a good dimple. Can't tell the fit of the items obv from this shot, so I will assume everything fits well.

Other than those few small things I like it and think that jacket/cardigan is very nice. I love its unstructured look.

Thanks for the feedback! FWIW: the tie is wool, maybe too subtle?--the picture doesn't do it justice. Re the knot, I thought it was okay but perhaps you could point me to some examples?

punit12

Reaction score
You know, the more I look at it maybe a shirt that is simply less saturated would do it for me. Perhaps keeping the shirt and swapping the square instead . . . I'm sure someone else could give you better advice. Just some food for thought. Hope to see more from you in the future!
Thanks, I will keep that in mind for next time. As I'm a student (and will be for the next 4 years) I hardly get to dress like this (which sucks), but when the time comes I'll be sure to post on here.

luv2breformed

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! FWIW: the tie is wool, maybe too subtle?--the picture doesn't do it justice. Re the knot, I thought it was okay but perhaps you could point me to some examples?

Yea, I couldn't tell that it was wool, that certainly helps. Still, the pattern is a little "business" to my eye while the rest seems casual. Putting a strong dimple in the tie while knotting gives the tie "life" and helps it to drape well. As follows:

LL

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
punit12, a solid shirt would have been better in that context. Anyway, welcome!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thumbs and kind words yesterday. @mimo I do care about your opinion and everyone elses for that matter. I post here so I can learn from you lot. Thanks for the feedback.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is another example of your more demure outfits being successful AAS. Every time you post a picture with coherent colours and textures and little or no Black Watch you look better by orders of magnitude than the cacophony of madness that you sometimes go for.

Once again you are letting yourself down with your footwear. I realise the weather in New York has been shite for a long time lately and this may be a case of necessity, form follows function and all that, but as soon as the weather improves ... those clodhopping boots have got to go! And by no means am I suggesting that you replace them with sloppy ill fitting horse bit loafers either!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit- Daniel Hechter
Shirt- Ralph Lauren
P.S.- Tie Rack

Nice pieces, but I think its all too dark. It lacks contrast. I think a lighter colored shirt would have been better.

So i've been super busy but still lurking SF. Just released my spring line and thought it would be cool to share some of the shots I did for the collection.

*Slow clap* Awesome. How wide dem is?

+1 I would totally buy and wear that in that package. Albeit, you look infinitely better in it, no doubt.

This is fantastic!!! Great work @an acute style

That is so nice.

AAS: that is you at your very best, my friend: taking a crazy idea, implementing it, then...stopping. No need to add a loud tie, or silly shoes, or a Black Watch shirt or a feather boa. Just a simple unorthodox idea speaking for itself. You're a truly stylish guy when you do this. I'm sure you don't care too much what I think, but being deliberately eccentric can cross that line between individual and self-consciously foolish - and I mention it because I'm sure I like many of us cross that line from time to time! But when you have that tiny bit of restraint on top of a truly different concept, you hit that sweet spot better than most. *applause*

cheers.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

punit12, a solid shirt would have been better in that context. Anyway, welcome!

what this guy said. the whole thing is pretty bright, any one item a little more muted would be an improvement imo. the fit looks to be quite good.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Holdfast , Okay, you've already got a lot of likes for this, and I do like the fact that for once, you've toned down the tie! But at least in terms of what I can see on this monitor, I don't think it works, not only because the waistcoat is much more formal and very differently styled than the jacket etc. but because the tone of the grey is very different from the tone of the jacket. There are some truly 'neutral' greys, but many are not as neutral as people seem to think. There are greys which are colder and more green or blue and greys which are warmer, whether creamier and yellower, or richer and browner or more red. You can see this much more clearly when you put greys against each other (and this includes patterns which resolve to grey from a distance, like your jacket). In this case, for me at least, the tones are not quite compatible.

But, as I said, it could be my screen; when you are trying to take an interest in the subtleties than make an outfit not just 'good' but superlative, it's easy to be defeated by technology...

@DonCologne , I'm afraid I agree with @sugarbutch , that outfit is all over the place, and it's definitely not my screen! Tattersall with a pinstripe suit? And in those colour? No. Just no.

This is the one big danger with a challenge like this week's is that people mistake 'creativity' for 'anything goes' (which is why I am both looking forward to and dreading size_38R's promised contribution...). Coherence still rules*, which is why AAS's two submissions for the challenge are so good despute being unconventional.

@Tirailleur1 - yeah! Well, you already know how much I like those new ties...
biggrin.gif

*there are always exceptions, of course...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads