• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good morning, gentlemen. Or its morning here anyway...

I like the colors, but I think the tie bar is too high. I don't like the look of the tie bar being wider than the tie. I usually wear my tie bar between the 3rd and 4th button hole. It usually not visible when I'm wearing a jacket.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Navy suit, white shirt, black captoes.

No tie
thumbs-up.gif
I think this look is too formal to wear without a tie. I would recommend more casual shoes in brown, a non-white non-tv folded pocket square, and a non-white shirt, if you want to wear this suit without a tie.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont love the PoW, EFV, but the more generally casual vibe makes it better imo.

Rafaello

Reaction score
I think this look is too formal to wear without a tie. I would recommend more casual shoes in brown, a non-white non-tv folded pocket square, and a non-white shirt, if you want to wear this suit without a tie.

I'm going to a presentation of minimalistic art and music, I'm purposely trying to go as simple and clean as possible.
thumbs-up.gif

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to a presentation of minimalistic art and music, I'm purposely trying to go as simple and clean as possible.
thumbs-up.gif
Why does that matter? Are you a piece of art? Just kidding, but I think a black knit tie would be simple and clean, and would complete the look.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm starting to hear the death rattle in the good taste thread (since they are starting to talk about death explicitly).

One issue was distinguishing that thread from the WAYWRN thread here. So it occurred to me that there might be an idea for a new good taste thread that involves currently active SF members (the old guard can chime in). The thread would be something inspired by fits here where those fits meet some minimal "good" condition (e.g. based on thumbs). This would depend on folks reposting their fits when it meets with some subjective acclaim in the thread whereupon others in the second thread then can discuss more fine details. We do it occasionally, but to have a devoted thread, fed by judiciously chosen posts from here, where critiques can still be made might be instructive. Few fits are perfect, and even with a great fit, there are alternatives that might be of interest.

The point is a thread to discuss things (we do this here, but not a place for really active discussion).

What say you? I think some subset of the main posters like Pingson, Stitches, Claghorn, Cleav, Mimo, CP and several others would have to take the lead (they'd have some authority to get it started). I'd like to see more of this in SF.

J011yroger

Reaction score

I like the colors, but I think the tie bar is too high.  I don't like the look of the tie bar being wider than the tie.  I usually wear my tie bar between the 3rd and 4th button hole.  It usually not visible when I'm wearing a jacket.  

I agree that his is too high, but if yours is not seen when the jacket is on, what is the point? Isn't the bar to secure the tie, and if your jacket being buttoned over it already secures it at that point, the bar would be as redundant as wearing one with a 3 piece suit.

J

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that his is too high, but if yours is not seen when the jacket is on, what is the point? Isn't the bar to secure the tie, and if your jacket being buttoned over it already secures it at that point, the bar would be as redundant as wearing one with a 3 piece suit.

J

Exactly. And since your jacket should always be buttoned, a tie bar is always redundant!
peepwall[1].gif

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

J

Exactly. And since your jacket should always be buttoned, a tie bar is always redundant!
peepwall%5B1%5D.gif

Not at all. I don't wear tight jackets. Even with my jacket buttoned, there is plenty of room for my tie to wiggle around and get out of place. The tie bar keeps it in place. I don't wear my jacket all day, so my tie bar is visible at times. I also don't think a tie bar is superfluous under a 3 vest or a cardigan. A tie bar can add some extra body to a tie that just lies there. I sometimes wear a tie bar under a vest or cardigan for that purpose. Lastly, why should your jacket always be buttoned? I often wear mine unbuttoned.

J011yroger

Reaction score

Not at all.  I don't wear tight jackets.  Even with my jacket buttoned, there is plenty of room for my tie to wiggle around and get out of place.  The tie bar keeps it in place.  I don't wear my jacket all day, so my tie bar is visible at times.  I also don't think a tie bar is superfluous under a 3 vest or a cardigan.  A tie bar can add some extra body to a tie that just lies there.  I sometimes wear a tie bar under a vest or cardigan for that purpose.  Lastly, why should your jacket always be buttoned?  I often wear mine unbuttoned.  

That makes sense, I always button a jacket when standing unless I am wearing a sweater or vest.

Your looks are generally pretty casual, so I can see you going unbuttoned, but still trying to hold everything in place on a casual or country fit seems at odds.

Thanks for the answer though, it's always good to see more perspective.

J

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm starting to hear the death rattle in the good taste thread (since they are starting to talk about death explicitly).

One issue was distinguishing that thread from the WAYWRN thread here. So it occurred to me that there might be an idea for a new good taste thread that involves currently active SF members (the old guard can chime in). The thread would be something inspired by fits here where those fits meet some minimal "good" condition (e.g. based on thumbs). This would depend on folks reposting their fits when it meets with some subjective acclaim in the thread whereupon others in the second thread then can discuss more fine details. We do it occasionally, but to have a devoted thread, fed by judiciously chosen posts from here, where critiques can still be made might be instructive. Few fits are perfect, and even with a great fit, there are alternatives that might be of interest.

The point is a thread to discuss things (we do this here, but not a place for really active discussion).

What say you? I think some subset of the main posters like Pingson, Stitches, Claghorn, Cleav, Mimo, CP and several others would have to take the lead (they'd have some authority to get it started). I'd like to see more of this in SF.

Create a thread and see if anyone participates. It's really the only way to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads