• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really nice suit Ping...the braces take it to the next level.

I exclusively wear braces these days, for suits and odd trousers alike. I can't remember the last time I wore a belt, braces are just so much more comfortable :nodding:

mothon

Reaction score
Challenge X-post. Thanks for yesterdays thumbs!

I really like this. However something seems off with the pocket square.

Deets on jacket?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's off with the hanky? It's a normal linen square, as standard and 'classic' as they come. The cashmere jacket is from Belvest.

Too "formal" perhaps? A tan wool/silk might be nice (Cotton Dockers and Sugarbutch have a sand Drakes that would perfectly complement the colors you have here...they've sported it several times here).

I like the jacket: is it really a FU jacket? I only ask because I'm tempted by such patterns but not sure I could wear them in teaching contexts.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Pingson, you seem to have incredible luck with obtaining vintage bespoke suits that fit you that well! Great find yet again!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I exclusively wear braces these days, for suits and odd trousers alike. I can't remember the last time I wore a belt, braces are just so much more comfortable
nod[1].gif

Do you have clip on braces for your odd trousers? I've toyed with braces but pulled back since they traditionally, are worn with suits not odd trousers. But the comfort idea and the perfect placement of the trouser is really appealing.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too "formal" perhaps? A tan wool/silk might be nice (Cotton Dockers and Sugarbutch have a sand Drakes that would perfectly complement the colors you have here...they've sported it several times here).

I like the jacket: is it really a FU jacket? I only ask because I'm tempted by such patterns but not sure I could wear them in teaching contexts.

Meh, I think the plain cream linen goes well with it. It looks a little blinding in the direct sunlight, but it's quite sedate in real life. I've tried all kinds of patterned squares with this jacket, and none of them really work.

Anyway, FU jackets don't really mean FU to other people, they're just jackets with big patterns, crazy colours, or are a little out there. I'm sure you can wear them for teaching, just don't wear them every day. I wear this one maybe once every two weeks, and it's also my only winter FU piece. I tend enjoy loud jackets/suits much more in the summer.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyway, FU jackets don't really mean FU to other people, they're just jackets with big patterns, crazy colours, or are a little out there.
Sometimes they do?
satisfied.gif

Thanks for the thumbs up about the jacket type, though: strong patterns. I do like them (though the Mrs. doesn't).

Edit: I think you're probably right about the hank. A strong pattern in the coat may be better served with less of a pattern in the square. At least, harder to pair.

Last edited:

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pingson, you seem to have incredible luck with obtaining vintage bespoke suits that fit you that well! Great find yet again!

It was pure serendipity that a number of Dirnelli's old suits (that are now too large for him due to weight loss) happens to fit me like a glove. These Caraceni suits required substantially more tailoring then the Cifonelli pieces I got from him, but the end result is still pretty darn good. Anyway, the take home message is that it's Dirnelli's ability to locate vintage suits that should be lauded... :nodding:

I exclusively wear braces these days, for suits and odd trousers alike. I can't remember the last time I wore a belt, braces are just so much more comfortable
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Do you have clip on braces for your odd trousers? I've toyed with braces but pulled back since they traditionally, are worn with suits not odd trousers. But the comfort idea and the perfect placement of the trouser is really appealing.

Ni clip-ons, that's cheating! I have just put brace buttons in all my trousers (and removed belt loops on most). I know that braces are traditionally only used with suits, but I just don't care about that as comfort beats tradition in this case (for me anyway)......

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ni clip-ons, that's cheating! I have just put brace buttons in all my trousers (and removed belt loops on most). I know that braces are traditionally only used with suits, but I just don't care about that as comfort beats tradition in this case (for me anyway)......
I saw Dirnelli's big suit/jacket sale via his tumbler. Too bad not in my size. You've scored well!

I agree: I would hate clip-ons. Will definitely rethink the issue. I do sometimes like wearing a belt, though, for an added visual dimension.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome jacket MF. love it.

pingson, the suit is great. like the new stool pose too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads