• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I think this might be the best thing you can do with this tie. A simple white shirt. 
Yo C.D., I think too much suppression at the hip is making the jacket balloon at your hip. I don't know much but it appears the jacket needs a bit of tailoring. I could be totally wrong on this. I'll defer to others. 

I think it's too much suppression at the waist, and it's making the jacket appear skirt-like. It appears your hips may be wider than your chest, which may be accentuated by this fit.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw, whatever happened to the "spoiler images in quotes" policy that was so rigorously enforced a while ago?

Butchy and I stopped being dicks about it.

Butch, you on board?

:nodding: Unfortunately, the powers don't agree that all pics should be auto-spoilered in quotes, so we must live with the fallout of that decision. Personally, I don't understand it, though. It's not like you couldn't un-spoiler the pics if you wanted to illustrate something. Oh well...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oops. I actually don't know any better. I get that wool and cashmere ties are for winter but I am not quite sure why. It's not like they warm you up. If it is to go with what you're likely to wear in the winter (wool) then I guess I understand. 

Yeah, think about all the stylish Italian dudes who you've seen wearing shantung ties. Were they ever wearing them with flannel/in winter, or always with linen/in spring/summer? It's perhaps an anachronistic association but one that ultimately makes sense, I think. It's a more loosely woven tie, with the imperfections/slubs lending themselves well to the casual, rumpled look of a linen jacket.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gthat's a bit like wearing a linen tie in winter—or a wool one in summer).
I despise the no wool ties in summer rule. Not that I think you got it wrong, I just much prefer wool's texture, and find the rule frustrating. -- Today
PRL Corneliani Drakes tie Trafalgar suspenders Panthy Florsheim Royal Imperial Square and shirt are unremarkable.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Rudals When you are putting things together, what is your thought process? Some of the best advice I think I ever got was from HF who told about having a concept in mind while working out an ensemble. If I'm correct, you probably work in an environment with less flexibility than mine, but the same thing can be done. Having a thing in mind that you're shooting for - which is not "Well, I wanted to work this item in today" or "I wanted to put together something SF approved" - can be very helpful in nailing down the things you want. You have to know what you want to say before you figure out how you want to say it. Otherwise, you're speaking phonetically in another language. Sure, you are saying words, but you may not be quite sure what they mean or how you may have phrased things better.

Additionally, as HF said, nobody long term really cares about what you wear except you. This is good because you can then treat things existentially and imagine the critiques and other things you get as thoughts running through your own head. Learn what those voices like and don't like and decide which ones to listen to and which ones not. Figure out which preferences you're going to incorporate and which ones you're going to ignore, then imagine what the ones you're going to use will say when you put something together. Feel free to modify them because it seems like the part of the process you're in is figuring out how you want to think about the way you dress, and the responses you get here provide new things along that line. Once you've put them in your head though, you're free to bring them along to your likes and dislikes because they're what you think. Use them to develop your own voice that you can express through how you dress.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you can wear shantung in winter, but you need more rustic fabrics to go with it. The smooth worsted that Noodles is wearing doesn't work well with it. You can also rock wool in the summer if the color is summery and the weave isn't too chunky. GMMcL's tie would work with a fresco suit.

Of course, the real question is why anyone would want to wear shantung at all... :hide:

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Butchy - I like the tie pairing with the Pink shirt. I take this back because of your heathenous remark about Shantung.

GMMcL - I have an irrational love of purple pinstripes.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I think you can wear shantung in winter, but you need more rustic fabrics to go with it. The smooth worsted that Noodles is wearing doesn't work well with it. You can also rock wool in the summer if the color is summery and the weave isn't too chunky. GMMcL's tie would work with a fresco suit.

Of course, the real question is why anyone would want to wear shantung at all...
peepwall[1].gif

Agreed (to the first paragraph, anyway).

What's your opinion on flannel trousers worn with a smooth worsted blazer?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, think about all the stylish Italian dudes who you've seen wearing shantung ties. Were they ever wearing them with flannel/in winter, or always with linen/in spring/summer? It's perhaps an anachronistic association but one that ultimately makes sense, I think. It's a more loosely woven tie, with the imperfections/slubs lending themselves well to the casual, rumpled look of a linen jacket.

I go back and forth on this. WOn't claim any authority about this matter, but while I understand there is a tradition, what strikes me more about the slubbiness of Shantung is the casualness of it rather than the summeryness of it. Some nice Shantung's are available from Conrad Wu (pretty slubby, so a matter of preference...some might think too slubby). They are substantial ties in a sense, not heavy, but dry and stiff. I'm probably going to wear them more in the spring/summer (they do feel more appropriate for that season), but the olive one I would happily wear now when I'm in a more casual mood.

The tie in my pic a few pages back is a denim/linen. I like the texture in it, and it's a substantial tie: heavy and thick fabric. Feels late summer/early fall, but again, wore it today (late January). Just wanted a navy tie with some texture.

So, seasonal appropriateness is a factor I play with, a strong constraint, but not a deal breaker. In the context of a set of fits, a heavy linen mixed with some wool ties over the course of a week seems, in that context, ok.

Defensive enough?
smile.gif

Edit: Shucks Butch, really?

Last edited:

Rudals

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
@mktitsworth
Currently, I wake up and have like 5 minutes to figure out what the heck I am going to wear.
I think what you were trying to say indirectly is that I am unconfident. I think I am. But this is because I do not know what I want. What I wanted was a navy on navy look, which was a not working out for me. So I started listening to others and I am now trying to figure out what I want. I try different things and try to get the vibe. You probably haven't noticed but sometimes I play it safe and post something that is SF compliant but then I try to do something that is challenging for me. That's when $hit hits the fan....usually. I need to gain confidence but I do not yet know what I want. That's where it stands now.

I think shatungs are just fine in the winter and wool ties can be worn all season long!
nest.gif

Actually, I try to stay away from buying wool ties and just stick with silk.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GMMcL - I have an irrational love of purple pinstripes.

Iknowright? The purple stripe in this suit is really only visible up close and I didn't have time to mess about with capturing it any better than I did. Good news is it's subtle enough that one doesn't need to wear purple with it. But I usually use it as an excuse to do so anyway.

Your comment to Rudals intrigues me. Usually I set out to combine pieces I like in a way that pleases me -- which includes color and textural mix, and of course fit. I would never have thought of describing that as trying to "achieve" something. Do you (or HF) care to elaborate on what's meant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads