• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JKMWCL
O/O = color and texture matching are, as always, impeccable and you are truly an inspiration on that front. The acutal fit though.....it just looks way too big through the mid-section of the suit. I understand not everyone is into the slim look (or even should be) but this just doesn't look like it fits right.

Is this kind of thing allowed on here?
I mean polite but accurate criticism of untouchables?
My whole world has been turned upside down!
Who are you people?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Who are you people?

Many people have said the very same things about %, and he has defended his choices. Nobody here it truly untouchable, you know that.

Mike

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Many people have said the very same things about %, and he has defended his choices. Nobody here it truly untouchable, you know that.

Mike

Spoo took a bit of a beating today too. What is the world coming to? But even then there are too many pics in this thread by what I deem untouchables that are overly complimented but would get roasted if worn by anyone else, and saying 'it's my personal style and I like it' wouldn't be much of a defence against the inevitable **** storm.
biggrin.gif

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are you people?

I don't get this. Everyone is subject to critique in here. Maybe it isn't done with the heavy-handed, snarky panache that once characterized this gone-to-hell-since-the-regulars-left website, but a simple look through today's posts reveals that the best among us are routinely, roundly admonished.

Maybe WAYWRN isn't "what it used to be" but most of the people I see complaining about it (in many other threads, not just this one) aren't even posting in it to school us sartorially-challenged noobs.

To paraphrase the great Mike Tyson, everyone has an opinion until they get punched in the face.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by londonchris
photo2-1.jpg
photo1-1.jpg

Sleeves are a bit long, seems a little tight in the chest. Otherwise not a bad jacket. Don't listen to any who castigate your shirts. I actually saw Jack Nicholson wear something similar under an odd jacket at a Lakers game. Yours are slightly less offensive. Kudos for not going the whole hog with sneakers.
Originally Posted by ndw
^Interesting suit UC. Single button, peak?
Two button, peak. A really nice air force blue twill. Made for some gent in '72. Had the pants tapered - they actually belled out to cover my shoes
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by acridsheep
1000000422.JPG
1000000424.JPG
[/SPOILER]

Colar looks good. Would look great with a brown suit as well.
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
81d20bd2.jpg
[/SPOILER]

I'll have to echo what the others said about the suit lapels, low gorge, and patch pockets. However, if you can live with it, you'll still look better than 99% of the dudes out there, so take it with a grain of salt.
Originally Posted by Holdfast
mar03004.jpg
[/SPOILER]

inlove.gif
that fabric. Colors look really good; could've saved it for tomorrow's battle
fight[1].gif
Originally Posted by oldog/oldtrix
I like the pattern play between the shirt & suit fabrics. Tasteful.
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Almost the end of the camelhair season.
frown.gif
I like this a lot.
Originally Posted by PandArts
Prince_030311_03.jpg
Nice pattern mixing.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are you people?

oh please ... stop being melodramatic, unless you havent read back to when he started posting.

o/o's fits have been roundly criticized by many. he has no inclination to change it - what do you expect people to do ... keep criticizing it everyday?

there are other people though who dont get criticized enough ... i'm surprised you havent focused your efforts there, if you want to help the thread.

nest.gif
nest.gif

EnglishLapel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Fred Astaire pics are bound to show up soon......

This is how % likes his clothes to fit. Nothing is going to change that. It is his personal style, and he adheres to it.

Mike

%'s jackets often do have rather a lot of waist suppresion that is not evident in many pics. However when the shots are taken from a certain angle, the jackets can look too full. Generally though, I feel there is much merit in their fit - perhaps not trouser length - and that it is something of a shock to many members who see only the Itallian cut as the definition of "good fit". This was not aimed at you btw just an observation.

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoo took a bit of a beating today too. What is the world coming to? But even then there are too many pics in this thread by what I deem untouchables that are overly complimented but would get roasted if worn by anyone else, and saying 'it's my personal style and I like it' wouldn't be much of a defence against the inevitable **** storm.
biggrin.gif

if Spoo and others can remember, i delivered this same feedback about his patch pockets and lapels about 3-4 months ago. That is why i alluded to them being made by MG.

the thing with WAYWRN is; there is little value to being a single dissenter (unless you are Foo, Vox and a few others) ... and feedback en masse is better acknowledged than targeted feedback. Coupled with that, because fashion/style in itself is subjective, it provides a leeway for many people to disregard feedback as being "people not getting their style", "being a hater" etc.

after a while you stop criticizing and just observe/let the mediocre be praised ... after all, their divots and closed quarters are not affecting your livelihood/bank account. you could start by sharing some fits to provide a baseline of your knowledge or providing targeted and consistent enough feedback to prove that you are not a myopic dresser who wants to impose his sense of style on others.

whining about untouchables doesnt solve the problem

smile.gif
smile.gif
... word to Jan

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
biggrin.gif

I would not consider that a beating. You want to look at a beating, albeit a very friendly beating, go look at the comments on my shoes yesterday.
lol8[1].gif

Spoo experienced some friendly criticisim, that he was in agreement with. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't think there are any "Untouchables" here. I certainly think there are some fits that get unwarranted praise, and there is a bandwagon effect that goes with this, but I don't think that anyone here is above reproach, or so perfect that they cannot come up with a dud every now and then.

What I do think is that most of the criticism goes on behind the scenes. WAYWRN has become quite diplomatic lately, with people just not wanting to be openly critical.

Mike

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Lovely tie, PA. Your subdued suits really let the tie, etc. do the talking.

Originally Posted by acecow
That tie... I'm in love.

Cheers gents! It's a cheapo DKNY I picked up at the Rack IIRC.

Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
Nice pattern mixing.

Cheers Urb! Well, I did step back from pattern mixin' for a while and took notes on those here who are pattern mixin' masters. This week has been a sort of timid return to mixin' it up
smile.gif

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
oh, thats a cool idea.
Hope we get an entry from you, then!
Originally Posted by sugarbutch
Also, I commend your thoughtful commentary on other people's posts. Good stuff.
I was feeling unusually chatty today. It happens. Thanks.
smile.gif
Originally Posted by upr_crust
I never really thought of my style as hyper-ornate, though perhaps I am more Gianlorenzo Bernini rather than Ludwig Mies van der Rohe...
As long as it doesn't get to the stage of your draping velvet curtains in the background for you to lean on, I think Bernini is OK.
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by philosophe
HF, the pale gray houndstooth suit is marvelous.
That suit is a funny thing. It always gets quite a lot of praise on here, but it's far from my favourite. I mean, I do like it, but it always feels a bit... I don't know... incongruous I suppose is the word. I think it's because it's a really soft camel hair and so feels a bit "pyjama-y" on me. I don't feel the way I like to when wearing a suit. Sounds a bit mystic, I know, but there it is. And then there's what acecow mentioned upthread about it being a bit light in colour as a full suit on me, which I definitely have to agree with. I have a DB light grey suit that I much prefer because it's a shade or two darker than this, and I think that suits my complexion better (but that one is a summer weight). So I tend to wear this one more as an odd jacket than as a full suit. But occasionally I feel like wearing it as the suit it was meant to be, too.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, I don't think it was a beating at all. I'm thankful you all spoke up. Even though I knew the issues coming into the fit, it's always good to hear it. [notbeingajerk]Even from Nii.[/notbeingajerk]
lol8[1].gif

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who are you people?

I personally have a wide berth of whats acceptable. Most of the "untouchables", even when something is slightly off, still look better than most. No one is above reproach, but if someone likes a fuller cut, and it's been said that he should trim his fit, and he holds his ground, so what? The same could be said about someone who likes their cut on the snug side.

As an example, % likes his fit a little fuller. Nii has mentioned this to him, and % doesn't change. It becomes apparent that the dude likes his cuts a little roomy. He certainly doesn't look like he's wearing a potato sack. His shoulders fit, his collar is snug, sleeve length is correct. At the other end of the spectrum, PatrickBooth likes his suits very fitted. His suits don't have any crazy pulls or gaps, his lapels lay flat, and his armholes aren't ridiculously high.

Nii's shoulders are quite rounded. He likes it.
HoldFast prefers a very English shoulder. He likes it.
Mike likes pieces that make a statement. He likes it.
NOBD is boring. He likes it.
Spoo likes TF and a dramatic drop. He likes it.

...and so on. I guess what I'm saying is that I personally care more about fit, than about style. If someone wants to put on his best Fred Astaire, so be it. If someone feels like channeling John Steed, bowler and all, more power to them. Spoo's jacket today has a dramatic cut, and the patch pockets seem too low. Could his fit be improved? Sure. He's open to it, which is pretty awesome. If he said, "I hear you guys, but I'm really digging bellied lapels right now," that'd be fine too. That doesn't mean he's above reproach. He's made a stylistic decision. That's his prerogative.

Fit is relatively impersonal and exact - but even then, there are margins. If something is egregious, I'll comment thusly. Otherwise I'll pick something from their fit I like & point it out. I guess I just don't care as much as others do. Or perhaps I need to narrow my view of what's acceptable. Could be the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads