• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you feel about classic accessories like cufflinks and tie bars? Do you own any, and if so, do you wear them often?

How do you feel about classic accessories like cufflinks and tie bars?

• I don't tend to wear classic accessories save for ties and pocket squares.

• My outfits are almost always accessory-free.

• I haven't worn cufflinks in this decade yet.

• Tie bars? Are they edible?

• I routinely wear classic accessories and rotate through them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CottonTownBoy

Reaction score
Yes, collar stiffeners and cufflinks, as a lot of my dress shirts are double cuffs. Although over the last few years have changed to using silk knots over metal cufflinks, as I am mainly desk bound at work and write a lot (with a pen, fancy that) and it is more comfortable to have your wrists on the desk and the silk knots don’t dig into your wrists, like the metal can do.
As a side, I’ve worn a Gieves&Hawkes double cuff shirt with silk knots to a restaurant tonight, with my family. I was the only male in the restaurant with a smart shirt, trousers and suede shoes on. All the rest of the males had tee-shirts and polo shirts on, with shorts and trainers a plenty. Unsurprisingly, they all seemed to like the sound of their own voices.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, collar stiffeners and cufflinks, as a lot of my dress shirts are double cuffs. Although over the last few years have changed to using silk knots over metal cufflinks, as I am mainly desk bound at work and write a lot (with a pen, fancy that) and it is more comfortable to have your wrists on the desk and the silk knots don’t dig into your wrists, like the metal can do.
As a side, I’ve worn a Gieves&Hawkes double cuff shirt with silk knots to a restaurant tonight, with my family. I was the only male in the restaurant with a smart shirt, trousers and suede shoes on. All the rest of the males had tee-shirts and polo shirts on, with shorts and trainers a plenty. Unsurprisingly, they all seemed to like the sound of their own voices.

No jacket?

Anachronist

Reaction score
Still have to often think back of an amusing story a fellow colleague told me in my younger years in consulting about a partner that once asked him and a bunch of other junior consultants „What differentiates us from our clients?“, upon which one of them boldly ventured to say „Our methodologies and experience…“ only for the partner to reply with a big grin „All wrong. It’s the cufflinks, sonny, the cufflinks“ 😂

Well, I‘ve been wearing them ever after… along with mother of pearl collar stiffeners. No tie bar so far… still not sure about if I like them or not.

acconrad

Reaction score
If I'm going to wear a navy suit and black shoes to a wedding, at least a french cuff shirt with cufflinks is a neat way to stand out without standing out

Mirage-

Reaction score
I generally wear no accessories at all, or at most a nice (but not at all very expensive) pen in the breast pocket, as I'm already dressed more than smart enough relative to my usual work contacts.

In winter, I do often wear a very thin, shorter scarf, usually untied and sitting just under the jacket lapels, as it is quite functional for the morning cold (I often have to go in very early and the heating takes quite a while to reach the target temperature) while also looking nice.
The one I use was technically sold as a women's scarf I believe, not that you would ever be able to tell besides for the fact that it is shorter than most men's. But the length is actually perfect for wearing untied under a jacket.

That being said, I think (simple) cufflinks looks nice even though I don't own any French cuff shirt, but conversely even if I were to wear a tie I'd never wear a tie clip. IMHO they make the tie kind of look like a clip-on, 2D-imitation of the real thing, which is indeed supposed to move a little when you move. I can see why people might feel they need one if they wear ties without a jacket, but in my mind their problem is precisely that they are wearing ties without a jacket...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads