• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hiking/backpacking

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Now that I looked at the blog I realize that the black in the eye area is actually from the manikin and not a part of the top. Woops.

RACIST!!!

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I can't find any of those Klattermusen jackets around here anywhere.
You aren't missing much. They are heavy, brutally expensive, and overly complex, though the use of cotton/Ventile is interesting. The Lundhags boots are good, however. Though not as good as the Jörn M/95 and winter boots, but good luck getting those anywhere outside of Skellefteå.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
You aren't missing much. They are heavy, brutally expensive, and overly complex, though the use of cotton/Ventile is interesting.
I think the specific one in the photo is an light(ish) model. If my conversion works out, its around 23.6oz. (670g) for a medium. But thanks. The Brutally expensive part I'm not real fond of. Still a good looking coat.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Yeah, I meant heavy as in "not BPL-approved." They're fine coats, but not what I'd want to use backpacking. Pulk-skiing trip between Akka and Sitojaure, maybe.

I think there is some awesome Swedish outdoor gear -
Hilleberg tents
Jörn boots
Lundhag boots (especially on the new last)
Woolpower/Ullfrotte underwear and socks
Fjällräven (mostly the pants as the jackets are too heavy, but the Akka tent is good too)
Tentipi tents
Primus and Optimus stoves
but I am not sure that Klättermusen do much that isn't already available in the US.

It is actually very unfortunate that Fjällräven has become a "lifestyle" brand in the US. They make useful, reasonably priced, if not lightweight, outdoor gear, which would be of use to scouts and other "less extreme" hikers and backpackers in America. Alas, it's mostly Kånken backpacks on girls in SoHo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with the MontBell or the RAB.

I like the RAB better, except for the hood. It has a flexible wire that forms a brim, which seems like it would be prone to break after a while. Esp if you are stuffing it. It's really easy to deform. Some people might really like that. I'm a little unsettled by it. Also the pull cords to adjust the hood seem flimsy.

The MontBell down stuff is stupid shiny. The Thermawraps, however are relatively understated and matte. They are pretty nice. Slightly cheaper than the RAB. Slightly less useful pockets though.

I have one week to decide.
smile.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ended up picking up the MontBell UL Parka and a pair of Columbia Bugalite 2 boots.

tparka3.jpg

shoes_iaec1217348.jpg

brimley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Also, going to be checking out this ultralight tripod. Seems like a good compromise for what I'm doing. (I understand that it's a compromise in stability over something beefier, I just don't want to carry a real tripod with me)

Are you familiar with the GorillaPod etc? Have packed an SLR through some pretty serious trips and it's always worked for me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brimley
Are you familiar with the GorillaPod etc? Have packed an SLR through some pretty serious trips and it's always worked for me.
Yeah, I've seen them and my buddy has one. I kind of see it as a different class of thing though. With the ball-head it's twice as expensive as the Zipshot, and if you want to get it off the ground, you have to find something sturdy to wrap it around. (which may or may not be available where I'm at) While the Zipshot isn't height adjustable, it is 43 inches off the ground and it COMES with a ball head. Also the Zipshot is 2oz lighter! (not that 2oz really matters) I'm gonna mostly be in snowy/rocky alpine areas. I don't want to be laying on the snow or trying to wrap a gorrilla pod around a snow and ice covered object.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've decided I wanted to get into bike camping/touring. This made me reconsider any gear I had, and its room and weight.

I've always been a tent kinda guy, but apparently a lot of guys use hammocks to get off the ground. Seems extremely practical; anyone have any experience?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Recently, I've decided I wanted to get into bike camping/touring. This made me reconsider any gear I had, and its room and weight.

I've always been a tent kinda guy, but apparently a lot of guys use hammocks to get off the ground. Seems extremely practical; anyone have any experience?

No, but I have been seriously considering a hammock for months. One thing you need to be aware of is the fact that you will need insulation like an underquilt or sleeping pad below you and a sleeping bag or quilt on top, so a hammock might not be lighter alternative to a tent. Check out hammockforums.com for all the information you will ever, ever need.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the air underneath will still be cold in cold weather.

I figure it will get me off the earth, decreasing heat loss from that heat sink; it will decrease weight compared to a tent; and I won't have to worry about a rolled tarp underneath for rain.

Let the research commence!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice score Slim. Are you going to be using that pack for overnights?

Also, what kinds of shelters are you guys using? I've been debating hammocks for a long time, but I think I'm going to go with a tent, so now it's just matter of which one. Right now I'm leaning towards the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Planning a hiking trip in Alaska this summer. I've never flown with my gear before. Regulations seem to suggest it's ok to travel with knives in checked baggage. Anybody fly with their gear before? I'll be taking a large backpack but I hesitate to expose that directly to the baggage handlers, and was thinking of travelling with a large duffel bag with all my hiking and camping equipment inside. Something like this: http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dim...0,300&cvt=jpeg http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=688856 I know I'll get killed on overweight baggage fees, and I'm also worried about this stuff getting lost by the baggage miscreants, then I'm stuck in Alaska without gear. Anybody ever mail something like this to their destination? How is the cost trade off vs. baggage fees?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fghhgfghfghfgh