• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highly Underrated/Unknown Movies

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Two Nick Stahl movies:

In the Bedroom and Bully.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watched a documentary on Paul Williams last night: Paul Williams Still Alive. Paul Williams is arguably one of the greatest pop song writers and pretty much owned the '70s and early '80s: "Evergreen" - Streisand; "We've Only Just Begun" - The Carpenters; "Old Fashioned Love Song" - Three Dog Night; "Fill Your Heart" - Bowie; and "The Rainbow Connection" for Kermit the Frog. He also was a hell of a funny celebrity and made numerous appearances on the variety, talk and game shows of the time. Finally blew up on coke and booze, but is now 20 years sober and still performing. Anyway, that got me thinking about one of my favourite guilty pleasure movies: Brian DePalma's Phantom of the Paradise. A critical and box office bomb - except for Winnipeg where it was inexplicably an enormous hit - it has developed a bit of a cult following over the years. An insanely chaotic musical horror it has some of the best of De Palma staging and editing, great production design, a stand-out performance by Gerrit Graham, William Finley's heartbreaking Winslow Leach, and of course, Paul Williams as Swan. lefty
Phantom of the Paradise is totally awesome and completely batshit. I caught it on late night tv once without knowing what it was and I was transfixed.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Two Nick Stahl movies:

In the Bedroom and Bully.

Thanks, I've liked Nick Stahl since I saw him in Carnivale, always wondered if he was in anymore stuff besides that horrible Terminator sequel.

thebunk

Reaction score
In the Bedroom is GREAT. A flick that was celebrated at the time though seems to have been forgotten over the last few years. Bully, from what I recall, was an ok film though perhaps I should revisit it. I too think Stahl is a very good actor and someone I am surprised never gotten more higher profile roles consistently.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In the Bedroom is GREAT. A flick that was celebrated at the time though seems to have been forgotten over the last few years. Bully, from what I recall, was an ok film though perhaps I should revisit it. I too think Stahl is a very good actor and someone I am surprised never gotten more higher profile roles consistently.

X3 on In The Bedroom. Amazing performances.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Caught this again last night. Not as insanely fun as it's "prequel", The Born Losers, but still pretty damn fantastic.

Billy Jack

lefty

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Twisted Obsession (1989) (aka 'Mad Monkey) Jeff Goldblum, Miranda Richardson & Liza Walker
Weirrrd film. Once you see it, you won't soon forget it. Very hard to find the full version and perhaps only on VHS.
Chopped version is all that seems to be commercially available. The missing scenes depicted incestuous moments between a brother and sister. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098407/

Last edited:

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Josie and the *****cats. Maybe not unknown but definitely underrated. Really funny satire of late 90s youth culture and youth oriented marketing.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Josie and the *****cats. Maybe not unknown but definitely underrated. Really funny satire of late 90s youth culture and youth oriented marketing.

Josie and the *****cats in outer-space FTW.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Better song. Interesting that they rotoscoped live performers for the band CUs.

Still not as cool as the Fat Albert opener.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads