• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carl1955

Reaction score
726.jpg

Easter Promotion - Free Trees with all full price purchases over £190
Use code - EASTER18
Runs till midnight Monday April 2nd
https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/index.php?utm_source=nl&utm_campaign=0318e

Carl.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like Herring is clearing out its Royal Collection. Their own private label made by Alfred Sargent, 100 pounds off the original price of 395 pounds.

Their RRP was way too high since we can get higher spec. AS Exclusive shoes with oak bark channeled soles and free trees from retailers online for pretty much the same price.

For those of us who wanted the Alfred Sargent Keats as a GMTO, Herrings Henry II is about as close as we can get now days.

Offer ends 20th May.

https://www.herringshoes.co.uk/search.php?task=newSearch&sale_search=0&fics=1&Tags[]=175&haid=148&fp_box_id=1

upload_2018-5-16_7-58-49.png

Last edited:

shoesforever

Reaction score
@wurger Yeah, we seem to see the same pattern everywhere. AS stopped their mto production for Afinepairofshoes and now Herring too. I'm kind of disappointed. They also don't care much about their own exclusive range either, since they only have the same models with no further development. Everything seem to be going downhill ever since Chay Cooper quit and went over to C&J. Makes me really sad, since I tend to root for the underdog and don't like big mainstream brands like C&J. I wonder if they even know about the fans they have here on styleforum concerning their bang for the buck vs quality.

Most of the retailers seem to have taken up Carlos Santos as a substitute, but the feel is just not the same. Different brands suit different tastes.

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herring is now using Cheaney for its high end products, like the Wildsmith brand, I was really hoping that they used AS at the time.

I think it also may be do with the cost of doing private labels, AS may not want to move on their wholesale price, but this is just speculation.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done a comparison of views for 2 x 2 pairs of Herring Shoes by Alfred Sargent. Each two pairs share the exact same pattern design; I think they clearly demonstrate that differences in the toe shape, sole finishing, waist shapes and heel heights greatly affect the overall aesthetics on a pair of shoes.

The shoes on the left have smart round toes, open channel soles, square waists and 1” heels.

The shoes on the right have chiseled toes, closed channel soles, beveled waists and 1 1/8” heels.

upload_2018-5-24_0-13-37-png.978732

upload_2018-5-24_0-14-21-png.978733

AWu

Reaction score
In reality I feel 1966 last is not that chiselled as pictured. I'd admit both are very good lasts!!

To me I prefer the upper style on 1966 last while the lower on 109 last on the contrary.

Yes, we all have different preferences and that makes up ones taste and style :bigstar:

I have done a comparison of views for 2 x 2 pairs of Herring Shoes by Alfred Sargent. Each two pairs share the exact same pattern design; I think they clearly demonstrate that differences in the toe shape, sole finishing, waist shapes and heel heights greatly affect the overall aesthetics on a pair of shoes.

The shoes on the left have smart round toes, open channel soles, square waists and 1” heels.

The shoes on the right have chiseled toes, closed channel soles, beveled waists and 1 1/8” heels.

upload_2018-5-24_0-13-37-png.978732

upload_2018-5-24_0-14-21-png.978733

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads