• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with Modern Tailor shirt

willsgillen

Reaction score
So I just got my first shirt from MT, and maybe black was a mistake since it is a bit harder to see in the photos. I believe, however, that the measurements are pretty close to where I need them. For reference, I am 6ft tall, 160lbs, and I like my shirts to fit tight around the waist and have as little material in the back to "balloon." I feel that this shirt fits pretty well, although it pulls a bit around the armpits. I'm not sure if lowering them an inch is the solution, or if something needs to be changed in the yoke or chest. That's where you all with a bit more experience come in... Otherwise I think that I can take the waist in another inch to lose some of the extra fabric in the back while leaving the hips the same. Additionally, the shoulders look great with my arms at my sides, but there is a bit of extra material on the back of the shoulder when I raise my arms, and perhaps this is not fixable without making the shirt horribly uncomfortable. If you need more pics I can take some more. Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Will

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shirt looks fine. Launder it a few times before you decide to make it trimmert.

Last edited:

willsgillen

Reaction score
I kind of agree about the color, but the only other black shirt I have fits horribly. Anyway thanks for the comments thus far. Hope to perfect this fit so that I can just get the rest of my shirts for the foreseeable future from MT. To make a casual shirt I think I can just decrease the length to 28-29" and make the collar a button down or hidden button so it'll stand up properly. Any advice there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads